Does slop between barrel and action threads affect accuracy?

If you would be interested in letting go of your green wheels and blanks, I may be interested in dabbling in HSS....PM me if so inclined....
Dont do it, it's a trap...lol
I got started with HSS tooling by buying a 25lb lot of lathe tooling from ebay...that was a great way to start, any time I need to grind a new tool for something I range through the box and find something close then get after it, sure cuts down on time standing at the grinder

Last edited:
Do do it, it's a trap...lol
I got started with HSS tooling by buying a 25lb lot of lathe tooling from ebay...that was a great way to start, any time I need to grind a new tool for something I range through the box and find something close then get after it, sure cuts down on time standing at the grinder

Ha...I have never ground on a HSS bit to date....would like to try. I'm just a tinkerer and enjoy spending time in the shop whether grinding HSS or just experimenting with different methods.

Ha...I have never ground on a HSS bit to date....would like to try. I'm just a tinkerer and enjoy spending time in the shop whether grinding HSS or just experimenting with different methods.
It ain't that bad, just takes forever on some tools. I like to use my rough wheel to get it close then switch over to my white one and finish it up. I usually have a few books laying open and consult a few YouTube videos before plunging into a new profile I haven't done yet, or recently. Tubalcain is a life saver.

Love tubelcain! If you dabble with the grinder, I'm sure you know to wear a good respirator.

Or, are the mating surfaces being perpendicular to the bore more important?
I don't think you can maintain accuracy with an overly lose thread fit or be certain that the barrel wont simply be way lose when most unexpectedly. Start tight and lap in with some abrasive to get a smooth effortless fit, clean and apply an anti-seize. I have seen a tapered threaded tenon on a Rem 40XBR factory fit up and it shot great. Who knows what you can get but it's a guessing game with overly lose thread fit.

Hey 25 WSM, as an ex-Army calibration guy, I sure would like to see the torque wrench transducer for Remington's wrenches, ha ha. The Jesus nut wrench transducer for the Chinooks was almost a two man lift.
Take Care

Threads are a "fastener", not an alignment device. Cut those torque shoulders to 90* of the centerline and let 'um do their 'job'. If you're barreling an action that requires a separate recoil lug, use one that has parallel sides and the hole @ 90*. Even contact of those torque surfaces is important.

Threads are a "fastener", not an alignment device. Cut those torque shoulders to 90* of the centerline and let 'um do their 'job'. If you're barreling an action that requires a separate recoil lug, use one that has parallel sides and the hole @ 90*. Even contact of those torque surfaces is important.

^^^^
Thank you.

When not using thicker lugs, I send out the standard 700 lugs to a friend to surface grind them.