Does slop between barrel and action threads affect accuracy?

I'm not sure what dirty threads feel like because I would never try and put a barrel on that didn't have clean threads. Clean receiver threads. And anti seize. I'm sure most barrels with dirty threads probably won't go on. I have never tried so can't be sure.
Shep

The difference between too tight and too loose, to me, is about .002" with a cleanup cut. Doesn't take much to clog up .001-.002"

Or, are the mating surfaces being perpendicular to the bore more important?

Both !
The reason we want very good fitting threads is to prevent the action from being able to thrust perpindicular to the bore. The Action face and the barrel shoulder will keep the bore center line true to the action center line but with the action threads allowing the
bore misalignment to the bolt it can cause the round to be held slightly off center and fire form the case off center.

So we make threads that fit with little or no slack and this way everything lines up as machined, (True). I want to have no slack and have to use a thread lubricant to prevent any gadding and also let the receiver help support the chamber and barrel tenon. There is no reason to true an action and then make sloppy threads and allow misalignment.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
To clarify, I am referring to a little slop not sloppy.

Seems that the angle of the threads keeps everything centered not the lack of slop, as others have stated. Am I missing something?

To clarify, I am referring to a little slop not sloppy.

Seems that the angle of the threads keeps everything centered not the lack of slop, as others have stated. Am I missing something?

In my opinion slop is slop and is not good gunsmithing/craftsmanship. The angle of the threads can only align perfectly when they fit. The better they fit, the less misalignment possible.

J E CUSTOM

In my opinion slop is slop and is not good gunsmithing/craftsmanship. The angle of the threads can only align perfectly when they fit. The better they fit, the less misalignment possible.

J E CUSTOM

Another way of saying its a proper fit or not.

Im a chef by trade & I certainly know I wouldn't serve anyone 'Slops'

Last edited:

J E CUSTOM
Do you notice how you take posts to simply argue semantics? I enjoy your posts when they are passing on your techniques, but it seems you are trying to sell yourself most other times.

Another way of saying its a proper fit or not.

Im a chef by trade & I certainly know I wouldn't serve anyone 'Slops'
If we want to argue semantics, yes, proper fit regarding the play in the threads sounds fine. I'm pretty sure people aren't gathering we make a rifle in a sloppy way.

Back to the topic at hand.

Do you notice how you take posts to simply argue semantics? I enjoy your posts when they are passing on your techniques, but it seems you are trying to sell yourself most other times.

I don't post to Argue !
You ask a question and I merely answered in the way I would recommend doing something. If you don't like my replies don't ask for advice.
I try to post for the benefit of all interested Not just one. And I personally don't like sloppy work of any kind, It doesn't have any place in gunsmithing Or any other thing we do for this sport.

Sorry you feel that way, but it will not deter me from answering legitimate questions if I think I can help someone. As far as selling myself, I am retired and don't build rifles anymore to the general public and only to a few good friends, so I don't want the business and don't need the business.

I learn something almost every day from this membership by listening to those that take the time to post or reply and figure I might help someone buy posting. You on the other hand, ask questions and then answer your own question and if the answer is not what you think, you want to argue instead of just simply saying "Thank You" and moving on.

J E CUSTOM

I don't post to Argue !
You ask a question and I merely answered in the way I would recommend doing something. If you don't like my replies don't ask for advice.
I try to post for the benefit of all interested Not just one. And I personally don't like sloppy work of any kind, It doesn't have any place in gunsmithing Or any other thing we do for this sport.

Sorry you feel that way, but it will not deter me from answering legitimate questions if I think I can help someone. As far as selling myself, I am retired and don't build rifles anymore to the general public and only to a few good friends, so I don't want the business and don't need the business.

I learn something almost every day from this membership by listening to those that take the time to post or reply and figure I might help someone buy posting. You on the other hand, ask questions and then answer your own question and if the answer is not what you think, you want to argue instead of just simply saying "Thank You" and moving on.

J E CUSTOM
First, there is a difference between arguing and debating to find all the reasons to base a decision off of. This is the reason there is so much misinformation. To reduce the misinformation we have to debate to find the reasons we do things. Debate me on why I do things all you want, it doesn't offend me because I actually want to know the right answer.

Second, you're still stuck on "sloppy" work which no one is talking about doing. It isn't sloppy to have some play in the threads to avoid marring. The original question is, "how much play until we see degradation of accuracy?" Is that wording better for you?

If we want to argue semantics, yes, proper fit regarding the play in the threads sounds fine. I'm pretty sure people aren't gathering we make a rifle in a sloppy way.

Back to the topic at hand.

If you are asking the question, I would have to think that you don't know what is best
and i simply explained that slop is slop and has no place in gunsmithing trying to answer your question.

If you know it is bad, then why did you ask the question. I will/would never tell someone that a little slop is Ok and just throw it together because most people can't shoot well enough to tell the difference.

A real gunsmith is never going to ask if something is just OK, He should know the answer. He knows the answer even though he may not do it to his best every time.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I haven't had my coffee yet.

J E CUSTOM

That is my way after having one lock up from tight threads and having to redo it. If I can screw it on by hand with very little wobble, I'm happy.

Here is your post. How are we supposed to take it. Seems like you have answered your own question so you don't need our advice.

DONE

J E CUSTOM

Here is your post. How are we supposed to take it. Seems like you have answered your own question so you don't need our advice.

DONE

J E CUSTOM
That is my way, but I'm never opposed to changing the way I do things if there is a better way that is proven with data

If you are asking the question, I would have to think that you don't know what is best
and i simply explained that slop is slop and has no place in gunsmithing trying to answer your question.

If you know it is bad, then why did you ask the question. I will/would never tell someone that a little slop is Ok and just throw it together because most people can't shoot well enough to tell the difference.

A real gunsmith is never going to ask if something is just OK, He should know the answer. He knows the answer even though he may not do it to his best every time.

Sorry for the harsh words, but I haven't had my coffee yet.

J E CUSTOM
Go have a pot of coffee, because we still are not talking about putting together rifles in a sloppy or good enough way. That said, there is no reason to waste time on techniques if they do not show improvement on the target.