Does anyone use Co2 to fill a PCP pelletgun?

clark270

Is shooting Co2 quieter than high pressure air? I am thinking about using 20 0z paintball tanks to refill a Maurader has anyone tried this? What type of adapter do you use? Thanks

Clark
I have recently taken the dive into PCP airguns myself to increase trigger time and save money, I used to burn the crap out of .22 but since this **** hoarding I cant find crap and when I do its way over priced!!!

As for your question no I do not use CO2 I remember long ago when I was into paintball that CO2 was very dirty compared to Compressed Air. And in the airgun world you get less velocity on the CO2.

BUT YES Crossman does offer a fill adapter for your gun. But you must make sure that you completely empty your gun (release all the compressed air) first. before switch "propellants"

I would recommend the scuba tank route. bigger tanks, more shots per fill, better for your gun.

I have found a lot of help on the site www.gatewaytoairguns.org I would suggest starting there they are full of help. And most likely someone has done been there before.

Shifty

After the cost of your gun and equipment the cost of pellets are cheap. I like watching Ted's Hold Over on youtube that guy is the man plus he's a Wisconsin boy.

Is shooting Co2 quieter than high pressure air? I am thinking about using 20 0z paintball tanks to refill a Maurader has anyone tried this? What type of adapter do you use? Thanks

It can be quieter, but CO2 doesn't have near the pressure. Don't use CO2 unless your air rifle was designed for it.

CO2 pressure varies greatly with temperature and the pressure is too low at any temperature for serious hunting power.

The only thing better than using air is nitrogen. You can get charged nitrogen cylinders filled to 6000 PSI without too much trouble, which is double the standard SCUBA cylinder pressure.

Custom air rifles such as Quackenbush that operate at 4500 PSI are best used with nitrogen. Lightweight Scott Airpacks used by firemen that hold 4500 PSI are easy to find on the internet. The hard part is finding a source for charging the cylinders.

The 6000 PSI nitrogen tank is usually changed out for a charged cylinder and is not recharged locally.

I forgot to mention one thing. I considered using a scuba tank at one time & talked myself out of it. Every year you have to have the tank checked & certified or you can't get it filled. Five years ago, the fee was $50 where I live. That's expensive unless you shoot a lot & I mean a lot. After you fill your Maurader one time, from a scuba tank, you'll never fill it again to capacity after that until the tank is filled again. The pressure in the tank will become less every time you fill your air rifle. I normally pump up the tank in my air rifle between 150-160 BAR. That's only 2200-2300 PSI. I shoot about 50 shots at medium power (my FX Cutlass has 3 selectable power settings). I might get an extra 20 shots on lower power.
The point is, you'll be filing that bottle more than you think unless you don't shoot very much. You can buy a good 3-stage pump for a little more than a scuba tank, with gauges & a special adapter to fill you Maurader.
It only takes me 5 minutes to pump up my FX Cutlass & costs me nothing beyond the initial investment.
Check this article at:
Air guns - Pyramyd Air Report: Scuba tanks for airguns - part 1

Then do some more research about the pumps available which will save you time & money in the long run. Lugging that tank around is a pain in the a**. If you consider loading & unloading that tank, going to get it filled & the time it takes to fill you air rifle, I think the overall time will be more & more expensive.
As it says in the article, you can buy a graphite tank for $600 which can be filled to 4500 PSI, but I think it takes a special 4 stage pump to fill these, which will also be more expensive. Maybe the overall cost would be the same as the scuba tank, but for sure you will have a much larger investment.
I spent a lot of time researching this for myself, but you may come to a different conclusion. Don't take my word for this. If you check it out for yourself, you'll feel better about it when you make your final decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.