Does anyone still LOVE the MANNLICHER stocks like I do??????

An old neighbour of mine back in Canada had a beautiful BRNO with a mannlicher stock and double set triggers in 7x57. That was the first one I ever shot when I was about 15 and I've loved them ever since. I found one like it 10 years ago or so but it was out of my price range. I don't remember the model..........21 or 22 I think.

I built my 264 Mag on a Enfield P14, Eddystone action some years back. It will push the 140 Berger's out the 26 inch tube at 3050 fps and hold less than a 1/2 min. MOA at 300 yards.

This may be the wrong forum to be asking that question here, but it's nice to see.it seems more people these days would rather sit on they're behind and snipe at something from half a mile away rather than really hunt, I'm not trying to pick a fight as I have rifles that will do that, but at the end of a day id rather be a little quicker on the draw than anything else, for me a light handy carbine will fill the freezer with more game than a 9 to 12 pound cross country cannon buster, the mannilcher fills that bill, i find that most of those that don't care for them have handled let alone shot of hunted with one, I fell in love with the sako mannlicher at the tender age of 9 or 10 years that was sometime in 1968, when a friend of dad's stopped by to show off his newest member of the family, I fell in love, then in the 70's there was outdoor writer John wotters owner of the world's best known sako, love turned to lust i had to have one, as it turned out it ended up being 6 that I call mine, a ruger 10/22 international, a ruger number 1 in 243 that shot so well I chambered it to 6MM Ackley it will launch a 95grain partition out of its 20 inch tube at over 3300 fps, ruger tang safety 77 in 6MM rem, a FN mauser in 338 Win, and round out the line up a pair of sakos vixen mannlichers the first i rebarreled to 17 Rem the other in 222 mag, I love them all, but the one I have the most fun with is the 17, if I had to keep but one it would be that 17,

Attachments

• IMG_0331.JPG
    IMG_0331.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
This may be the wrong forum to be asking that question here, it seems more people these days would rather sit on they're behind and snipe at something from half a mile away rather than really hunt, I'm not trying to pick a fight as I have rifles that will do that, but at the end of a day id rather be a little quicker on the draw than anything else, for me a light handy carbine will fill the freezer with more game that a 9 to 12 pound cross country cannon buster, the mannilcher fills that bill......

Well, this IS "Long Range Hunting Forums," but it's nice to just fellowship with other shooters period, reguardless of discipline. I even have a .262 necked 6mm PPC Benchrest rifle, and a .338 Allen Express with the Vortex Viper 6-24x on a 35 MOA ring/base combo for WAY out there, in addition to my "more handy rifles." I think there's room for all here. :)

If I had to keep only ONE of my rifles.......and don't laugh; it would have to be my .416 Rigby RSM.

A close second would be my .35 Whelen VZ-24 [which might wind up in a Mannlicher stock soon].

You know, the one rifle that I have not seen mentioned is the old reliable Lee Enfield. Served the British force for many many years
1581004686499.png

You know, the one rifle that I have not seen mentioned is the old reliable Lee Enfield. Served the British force for many many years
View attachment 174095
Have a sporterized version of the ol .312 bore. Makes a handy brush gun with about .308 performance and a 10 round magazine, don't need any spare rounds in the pocket ha ha.

Well, this IS "Long Range Hunting Forums," but it's nice to just fellowship with other shooters period, reguardless of discipline. I even have a .262 necked 6mm PPC Benchrest rifle, and a .338 Allen Express with the Vortex Viper 6-24x on a 35 MOA ring/base combo for WAY out there, in addition to my "more handy rifles." I think there's room for all here. :)

If I had to keep only ONE of my rifles.......and don't laugh; it would have to be my .416 Rigby RSM.

A close second would be my .35 Whelen VZ-24 [which might wind up in a Mannlicher stock soon].
Very well said I was glad to see the post, I couldn't have agreed more, except maybe the part about the 416, I didn't laugh, i flinced, nothing wrong with the 416 I've owned 4 just not a rigby, 3 in the Remington and currently have a field ready 8 pound 416 ruger on a FN Mauser, I don't own a 338 Allen but I did Ackley Improve the lapua back in the 90's built on a tang safety ruger 77, I'm pretty sure the two would interchange i need to find out anyone i could leave that gun to when I leave this world does not reload, even though I live in California and it's not very hunter friendly, it does offer great hunting and shooting opportunities, we have some very aggressive jackrabbit and rockchucks in my part of the world and they are a lot of fun to pick on with a mannlicher carbine, the 17 is the gun i shoot the most buts it's not my favorite, the title of favorite falls to a colt produced ultra light arms action in 338 Winchester field ready it weighs just 6 pounds it weighs less than the sakos, a joy to carry but brutal to shoot at a Jack rabbit with.

Did someone say mannlicher? Love em! Had a MK X in 06, thought I needed a 300 Wby more, you know the rest of that story. There may be a redeemer in my future, I may have my redemption yet. Maybe more later...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.