Does anyone know at what pressure sticky bolt lift occurs?

Bolt thrust is higher.
Keep the chamber free of oil, and be sure that your bolt head is for magnums (heavy duty lugs).

Doesn't that just about include most modern rifles? My Savage .223, back in the 1990s used the same action as the 7Mag. They merely used a smaller front in the bolt. Weatherby uses magnum actions for everything. Pierce uses "heavy lugs". What Remington 700 doesn't use their magnum action?

I have no idea about the differences of action bolts to cartridges.
Bolt thrust and SAAMI max pressures are proofed higher with magnums. A double whammy. So personally, I would like assurance that my bolt lugs would not be flexing a lot at max loads.

But it could very well be that all bolts are strong enough, I don't know.
The factory company I would trust to follow is Savage. Whatever they do, it's right.
I did have a WSM savage action once, and it had a larger tenon than a 223 action. I would be surprised if the bolt head was the same thickness as a 223 bolt head. Just didn't notice at the time & it was stolen before my use..

Last edited:
I have know idea about the differences of action bolts to cartridges.
Bolt thrust and SAAMI max pressures are proofed higher with magnums. A double whammy. So personally, I would like assurance that my bolt lugs would not be flexing a lot at max loads.

But it could very well be that all bolts are strong enough, I don't know.
The factory company I would trust to follow is Savage. Whatever they do, it's right.
I did have a WSM savage action once, and it had a larger tenon than a 223 action. I would be surprised if the bolt head was the same thickness as a 223 bolt head. Just didn't notice at the time & it was stolen before my use..
Standard (eg 30-06) Savage bolt lugs are 0.442". Magnum is 0.500". Ultra magnum (WSM, RUM, Nosler, etc.) is 0.550".

I'm pretty sure Savage .223 bolt heads use the same lug length as standard, but not positive.