Does Anyone Have or Use the ATN Pro Day/Night 3x14 or 5x20 Scopes with Night Vision

Veteran

I'm building a .308 AR10 Platform with help from another LRH member right now.

I want to use this rig for hogs and coyotes, hence semi auto and 20 rnd mag..
It will have a Bartlein 24 inch bbl. Very Accurate for sure built on an AERO M-5 platform.

What am I gonna do for a scope? I been poking around and I found these.

They look really interesting except for weight......I hate they weigh 2 lbs. or so.

But, they have real time video cameras triggered by recoil, they have night vision which i understand works pretty well out to 300 yards,
and they can be used in day time too.

This is not for ultra long range, but more close up to maybe 500 yards at most.

Anyone have experience or comments with this technology and whether its good at night out to 300 yards?

I don't have either, what I have is the Sight mark 6-24 IR 940nm Photon, I don't think they sell those anymore since wraith has come out. As for the ATN, I hear good and bad, the bad has seemed to come from the updates, causing it to lock or cause other issues. I am sure they are good once you get whatever little bugs worked out, since it is a day and night scope you will have an IR flashlight, so that wouldn't run the batteries down. On mine since it is built into the unit, I have to use a battery pack and it will last all night on high setting. I would just be sure the scope doesn't run through batteries like a spotlight would.

A local dealer with a lot of experience with all of the options, waived me off the ATN scopes for reliability reasons....I was mainly focused on the night vision and digital day time magnification.

I have the ATN you linked to in 5-20x. It's been fine for me, I'm glad I got the 5x because the digital zoom range isn't nearly as useable as I'd hoped for on the screen in the scope, resolution detail breaks down pretty fast. But I normally hunt out to 300 yards with a 2-7x scope so 5x was very comfortable. I paired the scope with the ABL that automatically updates the internal ballistic calculator with range at the push of a button, currently wringing that out with a 300 BLK bolt action to see how the calculator works.

Works about equally in daylight and at night, but I upgraded the illuminator to a Coyote Cannon. It puts out so much light it really boosts the IR performance IMO. That would be a key on the 300 yards at night part - you'll need an illuminator that can hack that. Sniper Hog Lights offers several different sizes. I've sat in a high rack with a guy and spotted/illuminated for him way further than I could shoot out with my 300 BLK.

I also have a Signmark Wraith HD 4-32. Overall quality wise seems similar to the ATN honestly. Both have been good to me. Wraith is easier to charge because you take the batteries out, the ATN I have to snake a cord to it in the rifle rack. Wouldn't be hard for me to let that one go though - the 4x is just too much for where I was trying to use it as an IR NV - 300 BLK SBR not off a tripod. I really needed a 2x or even a 1x for that application.

Having shot these side by side with a Pulsar Thermion - these things aren't in the same ballpark as the thermals in general, but the high end thermals specifically. If I was starting over today I wouldn't mess with IR NV at all, I'd piggy bank dollars to get a thermal with the highest resolution I could. But cost would be 3-5x more easily. I'm not trying to directly compare a $500 and $5000 scope side by side, I'm saying thermal is an entire different direction to go and I wish I had.

Last edited:
Any referral to other brands?
As pointed out above, the digital zoom isn't really comparable to a good optical zoom. As I'm on a managed place and older I need a lot of magnification (16x min on the top). I was intrigued with the idea of filming my shots without carrying around a camera. It has been quite a while, but he pointed to Pulsar for a little more money (he wasn't trying to sell it to me) if I remember correctly. I have a buddy that bought a Wraith, but I haven't used it yet.

I have a PVS4 with a gen3 tube and have looked through very high end thermals and pvs14s. I would lean towards a thermal myself.

Thank you. Lots to research and consider here......dont think the wife is gonna approve a 5000 dollar scope though.....not without she gets a new car....🙂

I did buy-once-cry-once on a high end optical scope, but the benefits to that price seemed more tangible than the equivalent cost of a thermal where the technology is moving so rapidly and things become obsolete much more quickly.

For the price point IMO the ATN is worth getting if you want IR NV. I'll see if I can find some of my pics taken with it and post them.

Last edited:
I would just ask yourself, how much are you hunting Hogs or Coyotes? Then look at the cost of what you want to do, I want a Thermal, but crap just to get to a crappy Thermal is not cheap. If you do go Thermal, pay attention to how close to recognize the image, some of the crappy ones have heat detection to 800 yards, but able to recognize what you are shooting is down to 300 yards. If you want to get into the night vision game, try out the IR, you are limited to 150yds to 300yds max, if you are hunting thick brush with an IR scope, don't expect it to work like you want, the brush will reflect the IR and whiteout the scope. They are good for open area's. My Sightmark NV scope is 6-12 digital zoom and like others have stated digital zoom is not the same as optical zoom, you pixelated out the picture, blurs everything, no different than magnifying a picture on your PC. So, when you see 2.5-25 or whatever, just remember the starting power is going to be picture clear and anything else is getting fuzzy/blurry. The best thing about the IR and Thermals is being able to record your kills, very nice feature, just make sure the one you do get has sound. I think the original Wraith came out without sound, to me that would be a killer for me. Let us know what you end up doing, they are a fun experience, I need to get out with mine now that the cold has subdued some in Texas. I need some young Sow or Gilt to put in the freezer.

Im focusing in on 3 IR night vision models.

Wraith 4K Max

Pulsar Digex C50

Pulsar Digex N455

Anyone have pros and cons on any of these?

I dont want to spend what a thermal costs and I want good hunting in daylight w color, I want good battery life, and audio video capability,
ability to mount on picatinny rail fir AR10 in .308.

Im focusing in on 3 IR night vision models.

Wraith 4K Max

Pulsar Digex C50

Pulsar Digex N455

Anyone have pros and cons on any of these?

I dont want to spend what a thermal costs and I want good hunting in daylight w color, I want good battery life, and audio video capability,
ability to mount on picatinny rail fir AR10 in .308.
I have a pulsar have a buddy with an. Mine is better at night. He blows me away in daylight. You can get by with these. You will get binos or monos to go with it. They will be thermal. Maybe not today but if you like going out and playing at night sooner or later they will be.

I have a pulsar have a buddy with an. Mine is better at night. He blows me away in daylight. You can get by with these. You will get binos or monos to go with it. They will be thermal. Maybe not today but if you like going out and playing at night sooner or later they will be.
the new C50 has color daylight now. The N450 was black and white daylight.