Does a 7mm mag need a tactical scope

The type of scope you will need will depend on what type of shooting you will be doing with the rifle.

If your asking if the Recoil level of the 7mm Rem Mag requires a top end quality scope. I would recommend getting a good stout scope. Top end Weaver and Burris would be a good start as would Leupold as well.

Not sure we are understanding your question correctly, get us some more details and we can get you a more pointed recommendation for your needs.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Cartridge alone will not dictate hunting vs. tactical scope, intended usage will. If you are implying quality, you usually get what you pay for and since it's a moderately recoiling round I'd invest a decent amount in the scope to try and make sure it doesn't die on you.

If you're going to zero it 3 inches high at 100 yds and hold over for longer ranges, the added features of a tactical may be of limited use to you. If you want to dial in for range/wind, the lack of turrets on a hunting scope will be a serious drawback.

A tactical scope does hunting better than a hunting scope does tactical, so plan accordingly.

here is the long vevsion of this storry i'm building a 7mm mag remington and a 300 mag remington. One for me(the 7mm) and the other for my cousin. I have heard horrible stories about people buying a nice hunting scope and the mag. caliber breaks it. So i want to know what the cut off point is for needing a tactical scope based on recoil level.

In scopes you get what you pay for in lost cases. If you want a lower priced scope that will be pretty much fail safe with the 7mm , look at the super sniper scopes.

Other then that any top end scope from Weaver, Burris, Nikon, Leupold or any of the other top makers will work great.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.