Doe Day with the Cheytac

JUDD

December 11th 2010 marked the last day of deer season in the P.A. woods. This which has been made the tradition for me and my buddy Kevin Cram is dubbed as "Doe day". We met at Kevin's house at about 5am loaded up my truck and headed for our secret Doe spot about an hour travel. Little did I know how the day would go...
Kevin, Robert and I arrived at the spot before daylight and started to carry our gear to the glassing location. Unlike most of our LRH spots this one is only 100 yards from the truck. Daylight arrived and soon it became light enough to start glassing. The glassing was beautiful we had a snow covering and the light was almost perfect. Within 20 minutes Kevin picked up a group of doe on the move at around 1500 yards. The deer never stopped to give us a shot; almost as soon as they arrived they rolled over the horizon and disappeared.
Not long after this Kevin picked up more deer at the 1800+ mark. We ranged with the swaro and the Swiss rangefinder and we begin to set up for the shot. Kevin had been itchin for a mile kill for years and this looked like it was going to be it! We all get ready…
Kevin: Ready?
JUDD: yeah just say before you squeeze off
Kevin: Here we go…
BOOM….I watch which seems like forever then…..the result I see the hit…
We missed the wind by 4" and the deer all vacate the area. They don't seem to like 300 gr of matchking wizzing by!
A couple hours go by with no more shots presenting themselves. We see deer but none seem to want to cooperate. As the day goes by our wonderful snow is melting making the near perfect glassing we had harder by the minute. Finally Kevin spots a Doe lay down by a tree at 1560 yards. She is laying facing up the mountain.
This is where I will rewind to the year prior. This was the birth year for the Cheytac and Kevin and I were taking her on the maiden voyage bear hunting at the cabin needless to say I miss a chipshot at a bear. Like any tried and true hunter does I blame it on the gun…lol. A week later Robert kills a buck with it at 600+ yards. I got rode about that miss every day for a year. And when I say every day I mean every day. I all but vowed to make it up for this shot somehow.
OK back to the hunt.
Kevin looked at me and said "JUDD you shoot I want to watch". I'm pretty sure he thought I was going to miss…lol. Of course I said sure I'll shoot. Kevin ranged the deer and told me the distance. I referenced the chart and put the 37.25 MOA of elevation needed to hit the mark. Checked the conditions and I said whatcha think for wind? Kevin immediately fired back 1.5 left. I smiled….that's exactly what I thought just wanted confirmation.
I got behind the gun and steady for the shot….
JUDD: spotter ready?
Kevin: ready….say when
JUDD: now
BOOM!!
Kevin: Dead!! you got her!! Dead!!…great shot!!
Everything clicked together perfectly and I just topped my longest shot made. 1567 yards….1 shot…1 dead deer.
Almost as good as the shot was the drag…when we shot the deer slid down the steep mountain dropped off a 25 foot drop and landed in the road we drive up to get to the spot. We hopped in the truck drove down to the deer hopped out of the truck threw the deer in the back and headed back to the spot..lol. Why can't they all go like this lol.
This year the Cheytac has killed 4 deer in 5 shots at a total of 3000 yards. Kevin can build on hell of a rifle this gun flat out shoots. All are on video and will be on the 2nd volume of extended impact.
This year has been a hell of a hunting year. I shot a 10pt, Kevin shot a very wide 8pt, John Mason shot an 8 pt and best of all Kevin's 6 yr old son Kaleb shot his very first buck at almost 500 yards. Then I top my longest shot ever with this Doe.
Thanks Kevin for your knowledge, guidance and for making the fine works of art that roll out of your shop on a daily basis.
Anyone who is planning on a build I would highly recommend Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles. The man can build a gun.

Last edited:
Your correct, it was one hell of a year I'll never forget. But just to confirm I shot an 8 point not a 6. Man, you'll try to take anything away from me...ha ha ha. You got the long kill this year, congratulations !!!! but next year will be different. I've been hell bent on a 1 mile kill or further and **** it I'm going to do it. Some day. Now to start getting ready to hunt wood chucks.

Some tools of the trade....ENJOY

DSCI0051.jpg

DSCI0050.jpg

DSCI0049.jpg

DSCI0047.jpg

Fine work there boys. Again JUDD Congrats! That's one hell of a feather for you cap!!

Now I expect a "full report" on my desk tomorrow explaining in detail why I wasn't notified prior to the shot!!:D

We did try to call to verify the spin and coriolis effect...but we had to quit f&^%in around and just shoot...we forgot it was december and we didn't account for the axis of the earth and the effects of the meteor shower mars had two weeks prior.

After we debated all this we found out it pretty much canceled each other out and we doped the wind and stovepiped her in the nest.:D

Outstanding!! Thanks for posting it up and sharing, it is remarkable! Can't imagine shooting that far though that soup, your air looks thick, high mountain air will spoil you for spotting and shooting. Again awesome shooting and spotting as well!

Great shot and good story. Thanks for sharing. :) Hopefully I'll get a look at that video sometime.

These guys seem to have a pretty good handle on what they're doing, and even if they didn't...

The bottom line is this - until the point that someone else or their property is harmed by a man's actions, that judgment over his own actions is his and his alone, and that phenomenon should be well respected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.