My southern iowa doe hunt with a rifle.

rpierce

Official LRH Sponsor
I finally got a chance to get out hunting this year to try and fill the freezer. My buddy has some land he leases down in southwest Iowa. I brought my 338 edge down for the rifle antlerless season, had it loaded with 300 berger otm's. I looked at the wind forecast on my way down and it didn't look promising for any long range shots, up to 50 mph winds from Thursday til sunday. Friday was the only day that offered any chance at a long range kill, 10mph tops all day. Thursday started out with sighting the guns in and confirming zeroes. After that was done they decided they wanted to see me stretch the legs out on the edge. We placed a cheese ball jug we had filled up with water out at 1350 yards. The ballistic program called for 8 minutes of wind. Ended up taking a couple shots to hit it as the wind was not consistent. Ended up blasting it with 10 minutes of wind on the scope. Decided to call it a day as the deer weren't likely to be coming out in those huge winds. Next morning it was windy again. This time my buddy bet me breakfast I couldn't hit the half gallon milk jug at 700 yards in a 25 mph wind within 3 shots, I ended up getting free breakfast. We went out that afternoon as it had calmed down to less than 10 mph. We snuck out onto the hill where we were going to wait for the deer to come out. They started sneaking out between 525 and 700 yards. They weren't wanting to stay still very long. Finally got one to stand still at 625 broadside long enough to get my drop and wind dialed in. My buddy Mike told me to send it. I had my 4 port brake installed on my edge and watched her drop dead in hear tracks. I was pretty pumped after that doe dropped. That was my longest kill to date as we don't get to shoot deer with rifles in iowa but this one special season. The next evening we went out we had some depredation tags. It was about 15 mph winds and I was set up overlooking a huge field. Early on in the hunt all of a sudden 3 does stepped out 30 yards from me and were staring at me getting ready to sound the alarm. Its hard to stay hidden in blaze orange in short grass:) I figured I better shoot them as it was early enough that more would still come out later. Blasted one at the crease of the shoulder as I didn't want to ruin a whole quarter of meat. Saw fur fly when the bullet hit her she expired within 20 yards. About a half hour later some came out at 660. I had everything dialed in ready to send it when they decided to go to the top of the hill and skyline themselves. That took the option of taking them out of the equation. With just a few minutes of light left some appeared out right in front of me at 330 yards. Picked the biggest one out who happened to be quartering away from me. Dialed in the elevation and sent it. Saw the bullet smack her and she stumbled up over the hill and expired. Took some pics but ended up leaving the camera in one of the guys trucks down there. Ended up spending 4 days with friends, 3 does to fill the freezer and a hunt I will remember for a long time.

Good job! Would like to see those pic's here sometime. I'm from northern Iowa myself,and it sounds like I'd better point the pickup south one of these day's!

From what Ive heard this will probably be the last year for the rifle season as the population down south has been decimated from EHD. My buddy was telling me that the farmers were finding 30-40 dead deer on their property. Its down about 70% from 3-4 years ago. I believe we are going to go to Missouri next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.