Do you remember the first centerfire rifle you fired and do you reload for that caliber today?

First centerfire was a old mauser action chambered in a 308 win, sporter weight rifle. I had bought it to enter deer hunting in about 1985. Had sketchy rings and a cheaper than cheap scope. Was nowhere near on target and never got it zeroed. Traded it pretty quick. I do load these days for a 308 win that I'm pretty fond of.

When I was 12 my Dad let me shoot his pre64 model 70 in 30-06. The thing was a tack driver even back then, two shots back to back touching at 100 yds. This rifle would never lose zero year after year. My son now has it as it was passed to him by
my dad. I still reload for this caliber as my first deer rifle at 14 was a sporterized Enfield in 30-06 bought from Sears of all places. I killed a lot of deer with it and had it rebarreled and restocked about 20 years ago as I shot the barrel out. Still groups .75 MOA with very little trouble. 58 years on this one now and still looks great!

A Winchester Model 88 chambered in 308 that was handed down to me from my dad who had it handed down to him from my grandpa. Used it on my first elk and deer hunts when I was 12 and continued to use it for years. I started reloading for it when I was 16 and still load 308 occasionally. The stories that gun could tell would be worth every penny I have!

I shot my daddy's pre-64 Model 70 in 30/06 when young but my first CF rifle I owned was a Marlin 30/30. I have the old model 70 but traded the Marlin sadly. I load for it and many rifles now hunting more and shooting less.

My first CF rifle experience was in basic training with the M-14. In AIT we got the Matel-o.Matic M-16. I do reload for a 7.62/.308 however it's an S&W AR10.
I do remember the matel logo around about 68 or so? You could hear it reverberate. Not the AR of today.

Great Grand Dad's Winchester model 1886 in 45-90 , 60 plus years ago. I still have the rifle ,but haven't shot it for a few years , I do have a couple of boxes of ammo thanks to the cowboy action shooters.
I also have an 1886 45-90 long barrel. It`s currently on lone to my childhood buddy for his man cave.

03A3 in .308 Norma Mag. Head-Space was growing so I had it put back to .30-06. Still have that barrel though. Recently started building a .308 Norma for no reason other than 'because.'

Great question I have never thought about until now! 30-06 was my first time shooting a centerfire rifle and it still to this day is a round I have never loaded for!! I got rid of the rifle long ago, only reason I got it was because I was raised in an environment where it was the one all do all for everything and everyone had one. That's why I got rid of it, I like the oddball stuff. But now this makes me wanna buy another one just so I can load for it lol

Christmas present 1975. .30-06 Remington 760 with Bushnell scope. It shot minute of mountain but I managed to kill two cow elk with it.

The thread about the Mattel M16 is so true. The USMC took away my M14 with a full auto selector after boot camp and issued me a brand new desiccant packed M16.
They had a full auto selector back then instead of the 3 round burst they use today.