Do all rifle???

Do any of you guys even long range ?

This turned out into one of those Facebook group full of gundummy responses, lmao
Although I Do agree that the 300RUM IS A GREAT cartridge, if you could only have ONE rifle. However I'll offer my thoughts as to why it's not a good choice in the realities of today's available of items to feed the beast. but for me there are 3 other important factors to consider. I mean are there a lot of active 300 rummies or are they troglodytes of the safe cave? How many 300RUM are actually being used in VLR LR shootings? Id say it's last among the modern 30 cal out there. Here are my 3 main thoughts:

First: It wont be the one gun you'll ever need ( well kinda ) You'll be replacing the barrel in 600; maybe 800rds with proper shooting/cleaning discipline. Remington utilize extremely long free bore to achieve high velocities. This free bore acts as a gas expansion chamber, allowing for a long peak pressure wave and thus fast throat wear. Im assuming your rifle is a tac driver (as your; I'm assuming an accomplished VLR/LR shooter) and an expanding MOA will put your barrel life closer to 600rds. As I'm sure your well aware.

Second: operating coast. Especially today with the pandemic and unrest in the USA. VERY large case; more powder ( although marginal to a 338) larger brass and availability still remains an issue in these parts oh and that second or third barrel.

third and final: Is that recoil of any "light" 300RUM will have. There are little others ways to reduce recoil other then adding wt. weather it's a muzzle break, a heavier barrel and/or stock. Without this added weight, follow-up shots are certainly more difficult without the aid of a spotter....so your left lugging a beast around. Been there. Done that. Not 🤩

It's not the only choice out there. It's your choice and that's the luxury of a relative free society. I'd rather read "gundummy" content then keyboard commando content. You've made your point twice but really haven't stated why your 300RUM is the best choice. Especially the only choice out to 600. ( which BTW likely meets the criteria of Long range shooting for the majority of folks on this thread and forum for that matter, me included). However, with today's advances in ammunition, scopes, ballistic apps etc; My 270 will drop any North American animal with a well placed single shot at that distance. As I and others have stated. It's more the shooter And the shot. You don't need that horrible disease "magnumitis" But this is not my point.
LMAO. Really don't think you were.

just my thoughts.

Ya got me! 30-06 may be a good do-all cartridge under 400 yards but it is hardly ideal for long range. Pretty tough to come up with a 1000 yard rifle that is lightweight and also great for tree squirrels. But if ya come up with one--I am interested.
I would be interested too. This question is asking for a jack of all trades and king of none. A lot of compromise and won't be ideal for either task. There's a reason you won't see many magnums on the line at Camp Perry or PRS and there's a reason you won't see many 18lb 6s and 6.5s in the Rockies chasing elk.

Out of all the factory Rem 700 300 RUMs I've had over the years, they all went over 1k rounds, with some I lost count but am certain they were well over 1200 rounds before I chopped them into my wildcats, not sure where you get 600 rounds, but I bet it's hearsay not personal experience, usually is the case

hell, my 7.82 Warbird factory barrel went 1200+ before it got all goofy and my 30-378 Wby still going strong with over 500 rounds through it, my lil bro got over 700 on his and it's still the main moose gun ...
my Rem 700 classic in 300 Wby had unknown #'s from original owner when I picked it up and blasted over 400 rounds, lost count before chopping it up into a wildcat, original factory barrel still intact and can be screwed back on anytime and go hunting

my point is that most guys overexaggerate "barrel burner" bs and start believing their own "stuff that falls out the back of a horse" ..... same deal for recoil, 30 cal mags up to 30-378 Wby are not difficult to shoot and recoil is not substantial enough to affect a grown, healthy adult male, if it does.. then it's a personal mental weakness .. ie fear or terror of a slight bump on the shoulder, most likely drilled into the brain mainframe from other goons loud wildeyed reactions

I keep hearing silly statements like .. "The 30-06, the 308 Win, the 30-30 Win is hard to beat" really ? in terms of ballistic performance it's rather simple with a 300 Saum, 300 WSM, 300 Win Mag, 300 PRC, 300 Wby, 300 Rum etc., and etc some more and then you have wildcats that will smash them into oblivion , why the ridiculous posts that make zero sense ? waiting on the 45-70 guys to chime in "all you need is" laughable and on a Long Range Hunting website to boot, hence my gundummy comment, some guys tend to post total nonsensical drivel that makes one cringe and roll eyes far back past the brain into the spinal column, lol

the Long Range Hunting website has been infiltrated by Fudds, prove me wrong

ps... did all the old farts from the 24 Hour Campfire website migrate here or something ? lol

Very interesting points Swamp.
So I'm not a long range shooter, at this point over 200 yds and I'll pass, but I'm still a member here because I want to learn and this seems like a good place to do it.
I'm a healthy adult male, but recoil hurts. I think it is my technique, but it doesn't take too many rounds from a 308 or larger and I start to form a bruise and it physically hurts to shoot. A 100 rounds of 12ga in a charity sporting clays event is just miserable by the end of the day. Again, could be my technique or maybe how my gun is set up.
As far as burning up barrels, I couldn't care less, if I shot enough to burn one up, I'd replace it and move on, so I agree with your points there.
I'm a big fan of the 30-30 on paper it is outclassed by just about everything, but I still like shooting and hunting with it.
I'm not a member of 24hour campfire, but I'm a member here. It seems as though people here actually know what they are talking about, I don't find that to be true at a lot of places. So I guess I'm one of the Fudds that has infiltrated this group, but I kind of like it here and I think I'll stick around.

On paper, I'd say a 300 win mag for a do everything gun, but I don't own one.

Swamplord said: burner" "start believing their own "stuff that falls out the back of a horse" ..... same deal for recoil, 30 cal mags up to 30-378 Wby are not difficult to shoot and recoil is not substantial enough to affect a grown, healthy adult male, if it does.. then it's a personal mental weakness .. ie fear or terror of a slight bump on the shoulder, most likely drilled into the brain mainframe from other goons loud wildeyed reactions"

It is true that some folks handle recoil better than others. But it is also true that recoil has a physiological effect on a person whether they realize it or not. Recoil has a cumulative effect even if the shooter refuses to admit it. We try to ignore it and not let it affect our shooting technique but if you shoot enough heavy recoil rifles long enough it will have an effect upon you. Eventually the stress will manifest itself in some way it may only be a twitching eyelid or just anxiety but eventually recoil does get to a person. And finally it results in reduced ability.

This is fair. I'm a 45-70 guy and if you're hunting big swaths of timber or swamps it has a place and is versatile but for the purposes of this forum it doesn't fit.
I respectfully disagree. It may have no place in this thread or others asking a similar question. However, That doesn't mean it doesn't work in the reloading section or say for sale section. I'm sure if we were to look at all the categories, subcategories ( created by this site) it would be greater then the subjects related to actual LRH. Just my thoughts again.

I respectfully disagree. It may have no place in this thread or others asking a similar question. However, That doesn't mean it doesn't work in the reloading section or say for sale section. I'm sure if we were to look at all the categories, subcategories ( created by this site) it would be greater then the subjects related to actual LRH. Just my thoughts again.
You're right. I probably should have said this thread. Yes, it can do everything required by the OP but there are much better options. I've been on this site a while now off and on and the furthest thing I've ever killed is a Caribou at 125ish yards. I grew up hunting whitetails in the woods of Georgia where most shots were in bow range. Now I'm in Alaska and all manner of rifle will fit the hunt depending on where you are in the state. Not sure where Swamp is up here but I'm sure he's hunted with something more handy than a 300RUM.

Ya got me! 30-06 may be a good do-all cartridge under 400 yards but it is hardly ideal for long range. Pretty tough to come up with a 1000 yard rifle that is lightweight and also great for tree squirrels. But if ya come up with one--I am interested.
Sir
Sorry I have to disagree with you. I seen plenty of 30.06s at Camp Perry on the 1000yd line knocking the hell out of X Ring.

I'm in the process of having mine built.

Rem 700 Stainless
Bartlein #3 Finished at 24" threaded
1-8 twist
Chambered in 280AI
Triggertech Special set at 1.5 Lbs
McMillan Gamestalker Edge fill
Warne Mountain Tech 20 MOA rail
Nighforce Ultralight Low Rings
Zeiss Conquest V4 4-16×44 ZMOA-2

The whole package should weigh in at about 8.7 lbs.

Sir
Sorry I have to disagree with you. I seen plenty of 30.06s at Camp Perry on the 1000yd line knocking the hell out of X Ring.
I might stand corrected if you can tell me how much those same rifles weigh? If much more than 9 lbs, it would not be "do all" for me. I guess that is why there are range limited carry rifles and long range dedicated heavy rifles.

I might stand corrected if you can tell me how much those same rifles weigh? If much more than 9 lbs, it would not be "do all" for me. I guess that is why there are range limited carry rifles and long range dedicated heavy rifles.
It usually depends on the shooter. Most will weigh 12+ pounds. The rifles themselves would not good hunting rifles. They are designed to be shot prone with a sling unless they are shooting a Garand.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.