Do all rifle???

I know more than one guy that lost elk at range and it wasnt anywhere near 1000.Thats 338 territory.If you run the mountains and long range is part of your game hunters you run into are packing more HP.Spent my whole life mtn hunting.My son just turned 26 yesterday and has many kills from 500-850 yrds.He took 17 animals in last 3 years.Hes rocking a 340.

Attachments

• IMG_2718.JPG
    IMG_2718.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 92
Yep, you see there is no perfect do-all rifle. But we all want it just the same. And I want to hunt in the garden of eden and ride a unicorn ...and shoot flying monkeys.
I give up. What do they have to hunt in the Garden of Eden--besides maybe a snake? I'll join you on the flying monkey shoot! I am no good at the riding of horses/unicorns.

Yep, you see there is no perfect do-all rifle. But we all want it just the same. And I want to hunt in the garden of eden and ride a unicorn ...and shoot flying monkeys.

I don't recall anyone suggesting that there was a "perfect" Do it All Rifle.....ultimately, that is impossible and totally unreasonable to expect! The best you can hope for is a comprise rifle/cartridge that will do it all within reasonable expectations! It is also unreasonable to expect to have the "perfect" rifle/cartridge for each encounter while in the field.....that would require quite an entourage of gun bearers! memtb

So, while I was sitting in church I went through all these pages and tallied up the votes for you all. Not perfect cuz some of you all on this site can't follow simple instructions and keep it to ONE rifle...huge surprise.😂😂
1- 300 WM - 41
2- 7mmRM - 40
3- 30-06 - 39
4- 270 - 28
5- 280AI -21
6- 308 & 300WSM - 16
8- 338WM - 12
9- 7mm08 - 8
10- 7 SAUM - 7

Now that that's settled...😂🤣😂
I would put 300wm and 300wsm together at 57 votes since their ballistics are identical, but rifle weight and reloading ease goes to the 300wsm.

Well I've been thinking a 50 BMG would be a good option. Anti material on down to small game, it will get it done. Reloading components are still available today, factory ammo, an exciting plinker. Self defense applications and good barrel life too, what's not to love? Just food for thought. 😃
Wow, incendiaries to lite up game too!!!

I would put 300wm and 300wsm together at 57 votes since their ballistics are identical, but rifle weight and reloading ease goes to the 300wsm.
I respectfully disagree. Ballistics are better in the WM version when using the heavier bullets. Also, unless a WSM is built on a medium or long action long projectiles may not meet their full potential since so much of it has to be stuffed into the case. My experience anyway.

I respectfully disagree. Ballistics are better in the WM version when using the heavier bullets. Also, unless a WSM is built on a medium or long action long projectiles may not meet their full potential since so much of it has to be stuffed into the case. My experience anyway.
Yes, I thought someone would point out the 300wm is better for bullets 200gr and heavier. I use a Browning Pro Long Range with a Leupold VX-6HD 3-18 and there isn't much it can't take with a 180gr Nosler AB, Swift Scirroco, or Barnes TSX.

Anyone have experience with the Sako 85 in 300WSM. I'm assuming it will shoot the 180s fine. I'm assuming it'll have case capacity issues with the heavier pills as RR has pointed out.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.