DIY Alaska Caribou hunt

hwco1129

I am looking for recommendations on a drop camp caribou hunt. Have been doing alot of research and there is so much to filter through. 3 of us are looking to do a drop camp and wanted to see if anyone here recommended anyone that they have heard good things about or have experience with. Right now we would like to do a bush pilot trip but are open to anything. Thanks for the help!

HW

HW,
I am assuming you are a non-resident to Alaska. First start with the AK hunting regs which you can find online easy enough, the start going through the Game Management Units (GMU) that allow for non resident registration hunts and or regular hunts that require just a harvest tag.

Once you have a general area you want to go then you can start researching the outfitters / pilots in that area.

The other option besides a drop camp caribou hunt would be a float trip hunt. These are quite common, you would get dropped off on a river such as the Colville River and float from Point A to Point B over a certain number of days. At that point you would be picked up and flown back. There are numerous outfitters out there that can help coordinate both rafts, gear, and transportation. The benefit is you get to see a lot more country, more animals ( bear, moose, wolves, caribou, ....), and some fishing.

Most outfitters are going to be straight and true. With the power of social media these days most outfitters are going to be wanting to put you in a good place so you have a good chance at a successful hunt, that way they can keep a good reputation and clients. Just make sure you do a little homework on the outfitter with talking to references and possibly with Alaska Fish & Game.

Good Luck,
Mike

Hi Mike,
Thanks for your help and knowledge you have shared. Yes we are Non residents from CO. We have been doing a lot of research on the Kotz area and the surrounding Brooks Range. We have 2 units we are looking into but feel if we choose a drop outfitter I guess we don't have to much to say where we go.

We got in contact with a few people from Colorado that have done the trip and they gave us information on the drop camp/floats in Kotz and had great things to say. They did tell us to stay away from a few.

We haven't thought of the float trip! That's a great idea as well. I will be looking into that more. I have a feeling I will get a weird response from a few of the guys as they never said a word to me about that. They said they will be nervous about the plane.

Thanks again Mike!

HW

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.