DIY Alaska moose help

huntinfool18

I have been wanting to do an Alaska moose hunt by doing a week long float trip. Can anybody point me in the right direction for a trophy bull

TIKCHIK AIRVENTURES, Rick/Denise Grant, good people that know the areas well.
GREAT pilot!

Be happy to help - Float hunts for non residents hunters in Alaska are very limited these days because a lot native corporations and villages have pushed for non resident hunting closures along river corridors that native Alaskans frequent. The Nushagak and Kuskukwim river drainages are two prime examples. Another factor to consider is that rivers that are easily floated and accessed will be covered up in hunters by an unregulated air taxi industry that goes for quantity over quality. Guided hunters in Jet Boats with super cubs as spotters make it tough on the do it yourself guy in Alaska these days to compete. If you are a US citizen, try hunting a federal wildlife refuge away from native villages and as remote (ie - as far from Anchorage and Fairbanks) as you can afford. Remember in many areas of Alaska, resident hunters get a thirty day head start on nonresidents. The best time to hunt is as late in the season as the rut runs ~Sept 15 -Oct 10. I have some outfitters I can recommend that offer great hunts at fair prices in Alaska, but hesitate to name them hear as I am new to this post and don't think plugging a business is permitted hear. Correct me if I am wrong. Good Luck

Spotting from an airplane is not only illegal but hugely unethical. You must wait until the next day to hunt any animal spotted by air. The natives kill anything and everything they can regardless of the law. Those natives poach bears, litter, leave atv trails everywhere and they hate nonresidents.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts