Diffrence in H4831 and H4831sc

RangerBrad

Hey fellas, For my birthday my father-in-law got me a pound of H4831 powder. I am going to be developing a load for my 25-06 and have a custom turret built. My original plan was to use H4831sc and also try H1000. Is there a diffrence in preformance between the H4831 and the H4831sc if using the same grains of powder? I would hate to develop a load with the H4831 and have a custom turret built then use the H4831sc and have the preformance be diffrent. What say yal? Thank's, Brad

I think there would be is a slight difference in MV with identical powder charges. Meaning there could be a slight difference in point of impact with equal powder charges. This has been my experience with the .300 Win Mag and 7mm RMs using IMR 7828 and IMR 7828 SSC powder. This is a different powder, so I wouldn't bet the farm on it applying to 4831. But the experience I do have is as shared here. And my chronograph data is pretty darn good - shot over dual chronographs, and now triplicate chronographs. The different size powder kernels alone would lead me to expect at least a slight difference in burn rates, if all else was identical.

Last edited:
From what I can tell, they are pretty close. I use H4831SC just because it meters easier. I have never used H4831 but have had reallllly good results with H4831SC out of my 25-06 with the 115 Berger VLD.

Also, it matters on what bullet weight you are going to use.

I will also be using the 1115 gr berger unless it proves to be to long for my magazine. If so can yal recommend a back up bullet? I was thinking possibly the 120 gr Serria game king. Thank's, Brad

Borrowed a guys Chrono (have yet to get my own) and shot 10 rounds of 1980's 4831 (Which i have a surplus of) and new 4831sc. You could not tell the difference between them. Velocity spread was about 15-20fps but both had the same. I am shooting a 150gn Nosler BT with 56.0 gn and CCI Primers out of my Rem 700 ADL in 270 win.

Brad,

That 110 gr Accubond is hard to beat out of the 25-06 as well. You can try it with H4831SC as well. Very good bonded bullet. I have never tried them but they are new. They now have a 100 gr swift scirroco II bullet out now. It is also a bonded bullet. I really like the accubond though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.