Die identification

rickdavis81

Just finished building a house and moving. Got my new reloading shed/gym all setup. Went to reload some .223 for a bolt gun tonight. My problem is I'm not sure what the difference is between my two deprime/ sizing dies. I'm assuming one is my fl and one is my neck die. Don't laugh but they're Lee. One says Lee-223-d7. The other Lee-223-k5. Or maybe they're both fl.

Did you buy the 4-die set? You should have n FL sizing die, collet neck sizing die, seating die, and factory crimp die. The FL sizing die will have a nut at the top, the collet die will have a flat cap. Seating die has a knurled cap, and FCD is open and you see the crimp fingers.

The FL sizing die will generally push everything down to a SAAMI-minimum spec. The Lee collet sizing die is unique in that it only pushed the neck down onto a mandrel of a certain size and doesn't impact the bosy our shoulders at all. You need to set it up differently than a bump or bushing die:

Did you buy the 4-die set? You should have n FL sizing die, collet neck sizing die, seating die, and factory crimp die. The FL sizing die will have a nut at the top, the collet die will have a flat cap. Seating die has a knurled cap, and FCD is open and you see the crimp fingers.

The FL sizing die will generally push everything down to a SAAMI-minimum spec. The Lee collet sizing die is unique in that it only pushed the neck down onto a mandrel of a certain size and doesn't impact the bosy our shoulders at all. You need to set it up differently than a bump or bushing die:
I don't remember what all I've bought. I'm sure I have a neck sizing die but I think I have 3 sets of 223 dies. I know I keep one set up for my Dillion 650 and use the others on my rock chucked but everything has been stored for a couple years
Assuming you have the ability to measure your cases, the neck die should not size or move your case shoulder.
Would you just measure where the shoulder meets the neck with calipers? I'd think it'd be easy to be off a couple thousands

I don't remember what all I've bought. I'm sure I have a neck sizing die but I think I have 3 sets of 223 dies. I know I keep one set up for my Dillion 650 and use the others on my rock chucked but everything has been stored for a couple years

Would you just measure where the shoulder meets the neck with calipers? I'd think it'd be easy to be off a couple thousands
Not just a micrometer. You need to have a micrometer and a comparator set up for your cartridge shoulder. This will allow you to see if you are setting the shoulder back or just sizing the neck and leaving the case body/shoulder alone. If just neck sizing, the case body and shoulder should be largely unchanged from a fired case.

Picture of the various Lee dies. From Left to right FL sizing/deprime die, seating die, Powder spoon and shell holder, Factory Crimp Die and Collet neck die/deprimer
90694-4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.