Determining shot angle (Inclination)

GLTaylor

I am wondering what the easiest way is to determine shot angle.
It's fairly level where I hunt in NE Alabama. That said, my shooting platform is about 35 ft higher in elevation than the rear of the field behind my house. Shot distance is 200 to 350. I notice that my shots consistently impact a bit higher than I expect. Not bad at all, just not precisely where I aim. Curious if inclination may be the answer? Or maybe I need to verify impacts on my dope card values? Rifle shoots .3 to .6 faithfully depending on me

Elevation change, shooting East, 6 o'clock wind. 5E217D80-1F53-4AC7-9FA1-DDB81B549402.png

I am wondering what the easiest way is to determine shot angle.
It's fairly level where I hunt in NE Alabama. That said, my shooting platform is about 35 ft higher in elevation than the rear of the field behind my house. Shot distance is 200 to 350. I notice that my shots consistently impact a bit higher than I expect. Not bad at all, just not precisely where I aim. Curious if inclination may be the answer? Or maybe I need to verify impacts on my dope card values? Rifle shoots .3 to .6 faithfully depending on me

You can buy a cosine indicator.
buy a inclinometer.
use the back of a mildot master.
use a kestrel.
use your iphones level to get the angle.

If using a angle and not the cosine, take the angle and on a calculator so say 20 degrees and hit cosine and multiply that by your true range, you'll get your horizontal distance. Or for faster reference google slope dope.

The boys over at Gunwerks, during one of their videos, showed how to get an appropriate angle of inclination by merely using your hand. I failed to record the show, and have not been able to find it. Technology is great, when it works.....when technology fails, it's nice to have a back-up method! memtb

Do you have a shooting app on your phone? Strelok Pro has an slope/angle button in it. Easy to access. Just aim your phone at your intended target area and it gives you a reading. I would think most shooting apps have this. I have Shooter on my phones but I have never really used it much as Strelok does so well for me at distance.
Tens:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.