Details on bedding, wood v. non-wood stocks

Derek M.

I am wondering if someone can tell me exactly what is meant by "skim" bedding unless it is simply applying a touch of bed compound around the screw hole, and possibly in the recess for the recoil lug.

I also would like to know if you take a wood stock, open the recess for the recoil lug, add compound, and pillar bed it, is this not just as good as a bed job on a non-wood stock?

I ask because I have 2 rifles, both of which I kept the wood stock, and had them painted in a Southwest Oregon pattern by Noveske some years ago. The rifles are "skim" and pillar bedded and shoot just as well as any of my rifles that have non-wood stocks. One is a 30.06 and it has been used in heavy rain as well.

Just curious as I actually like the feel of a wood stock better but use primarily McMillan and HS Precision stocks because I read over and over that they make superior shooting rifles. Just not in my experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.