Detachable magazine help

Cody Nielsen

I have a Remington model 700 with the detachable magazine. I am limited by this on being able to stretch my O.A.L due to the limits of the clip. Can the front of the clip be cut out? If I could this would darn near give me another 1/8 inch of safe room...A lot. I have been told that there is nothing that can be changed even with an aftermarket stock. And quite frankly already have a hogue and wouldn't change it for the world. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• D7E587DF-07D3-4265-B34C-2D4C335B2CB0.jpeg
    D7E587DF-07D3-4265-B34C-2D4C335B2CB0.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 207
Dremel tool and a sanding barrel, you can cut the center of the Mag out but most of the times this causes more problems than its worth as when you start loading really long the bullet will catch on the feed ramp, take a sanding barrel and sand a U out where your bullet nose sets

Maybe change to CIP bottom metal with new magazine. What is your CBTO now and what are you trying to achieve?

Just what does CBTO have to do with magazine length? Cartridge base to Ogive is NOT OAL or Overall Length, which is what matters for this member.....

Just what does CBTO have to do with magazine length? Cartridge base to Ogive is NOT OAL or Overall Length, which is what matters for this member.....
CBTO matters because it is a more reliable and consistent measurement. True, COAL is what matters to the magazine, but ONLY to the magazine. CBTO is what matters to the chamber, and that is more important.
I believe that what jd5521 was after was what is the CBTO number for what fits in the mag now vs. what is desired. That would indicate roughly how much the COAL has to grow beyond what the magazine can accept.

CBTO matters because it is a more reliable and consistent measurement. True, COAL is what matters to the magazine, but ONLY to the magazine. CBTO is what matters to the chamber, and that is more important.
I believe that what jd5521 was after was what is the CBTO number for what fits in the mag now vs. what is desired. That would indicate roughly how much the COAL has to grow beyond what the magazine can accept.
Why make it hard? Just stick with the COAL, Ream your Mag out, stretch your bullet out and then worry about your CBTO

I've had similar issues with SA cartridges and using the max mag length. When you modify your mag be careful that your bullet tips don't catch on the underside of the action. I've had to have my Rem 700 and rem 700 clone SA actions notched to allow for full mag length rounds.

My Two cents .. have you shot the rifle!??

with desired bullets/powder??

just cuzz you can reach the lands doesn't mean it wont shoot! dont get hung up on the "has to be close to lands to perform'' BS

a little bit of experimenting you will find it shoots and fit in the MAG just fine

I've shot and built loads for many many factory rifles and customs with standard mag boxes that shoot wonderfuly even with mag restrictions.

Last edited:
Why make it hard? Just stick with the COAL, Ream your Mag out, stretch your bullet out and then worry about your CBTO
Because the COAL isn't a consistent measurement due to variation in the meplats, and ultimately it isn't an important measurement anyway. It only matters to the magazine and nothing else.

What Elk Hunter said.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts