Dead yotes

Kentucky

Which is better, leave dead totes in the field or leave scent dragging them out? I don't know if a dead one would spook others or not. Thanks guys, I love this sight. I am not the smartest person you will ever meet but I can sure ask questions

I've done both. I prefer to drag them out, but I can't say whether or not it affects a stand in the future. I hunt the entire north half of AZ, and make a point to never hit the same stand twice in a year. If you're hunting a small area, it might make sense to remove the dog. The dead carcass will leave sent for a long time (whether it be bad or good, I don't know), but a dog dragged out of an area will only leave sent for so long. Good question, and definitely something to ponder.

We've been putting the carcasses in a hole drilled into the lakes. We have had very good results over the last 3 seasons doing this. Drill a hole head and legs into leaving the back up for them to feed. Once the crows start the dogs and occasionally a fox will be close behind. We shoot the soul pigeons once or twice to keep them off it if need be.

When hunting deer, it its slooow and a coyote happens along I'll use him as a target of opportunity and usually let them lay. I have seen coyotes walk up and sniff a carcass less than a week old. It probably depends on how much pressure the coyotes get as well as the overall population density.

Thanks guys. I don't have enough action here to really worry about it but thought I would ask just because I was curious. We are planning on doing some serious calling and the info might come in handy. Thanks all

Late in the season one year I called a male and shot him by a tree while he was hiking his leg 50 yards from me LOL:D I let him lay. Two days later I was back, I made a invitation howl and a female popped out 200 yards away. She came out in the field and stopped 150 yards away and sat down. After a while she layed down and she would not come any farther. i moved and she stood up and I shot her. It was probably her mate. I tried several different calls rabbit , fawn bleat, squeeks, more howls. She would not come any closer. I think she knew he was there but didn't know what to do and wanted him to show his self?

That is more of what I expected. The " what the heck is wrong with him" thing, but I just didn't know. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.