mange on yotes

jj338

hello, i called in a yote with mange if thats how you spell it well i was wondering if anone knows about it and if it is passed down through the blood stream and how often it occors.
Also i am new to howling what does it mean if you how and they answer but dont come in. i know nothing works every time but i would enjoy some help . thanks for helping

Mange is caused by mites and the female can actually burrow into the skin. It is seen mainly when the population gets too heavy in an area and that is one way that Mother Nature kills off the weaker ones. A dead one should not be handled because the mites can live on a human and cause real problems. I was just watching a guy on TV shoot coyotes and one he shot had lost almost half it's hair. He didn't even touch the thing, but dug a hole and buried it pretty deep, so other animals couldn't get at it and become infested. Coyotes have certain barks and howls they use to communicate and sometimes they will come in to that type of call, rather than an animal in distress call.

A little more mange info... It is species specific. The mites that cause mange on coyotes won't cause mange on humans or dogs. The mites may get on ya but they won't cause your hair to fall out. That said, I wouldn't touch one of the things either. They creep me out. :D If you listen to their conversations closely, the guys on Fast and Furious buried the mangey coyote so other coyotes wouldn't pick up the mites.

Some times coyotes will howl when you're busted--they've made you. They announce to every other coyote in the neighborhood that someone's up to no good. Other times they will howl in answer to your howl and not come because you're outside of their territorial boundary. If that's the case, move closer to them and make another set. Another thing to be aware of is coyotes (at least in this area) tend to go downwind when coming to howls. It's like long raange butt sniffing. Make sure you can see your downwind if you're using howls otherwise they will bust you without you ever seeing them. "Make 'em show themselves if they want the downwind."

Good luck!

The problems I was referring to was not that a human would lose hair, etc., but can be a host and lead to an infestation in their dog(s). I thought I heard the guy say something about dogs and other varmints in their talking, but I may be mistaken. Any time you set up for coyotes, bobcats, or fox you should try to pick a spot where you can watch as they try to get downwind of your set to get your scent. If you don't they will nail you and be gone before you even see them if you don't.

A little more mange info... It is species specific. The mites that cause mange on coyotes won't cause mange on humans or dogs. The mites may get on ya but they won't cause your hair to fall out. That said, I wouldn't touch one of the things either. They creep me out. :D If you listen to their conversations closely, the guys on Fast and Furious buried the mangey coyote so other coyotes wouldn't pick up the mites.

Some times coyotes will howl when you're busted--they've made you. They announce to every other coyote in the neighborhood that someone's up to no good. Other times they will howl in answer to your howl and not come because you're outside of their territorial boundary. If that's the case, move closer to them and make another set. Another thing to be aware of is coyotes (at least in this area) tend to go downwind when coming to howls. It's like long raange butt sniffing. Make sure you can see your downwind if you're using howls otherwise they will bust you without you ever seeing them. "Make 'em show themselves if they want the downwind."

Good luck!

I respectfully disagree. Those same mange mites in the coyote cause scabies in humans.

The greatest health hazard in handling dead coyotes, or many other furry critters are fleas, ticks and the tularemia bacteria. Scabies are species specific. While the mites may transfer to human skin while handling an infected critter they cannot reproduce and do not require medical treatment to get rid of them. Tularemia can be very dangerous to humans if contracted. It is generally found in rabbits and squirrels. Fleas from squirrels can carry the plague. That is not a good thing. Ticks can pass lyme disease to humans as well as other blood borne illnesses. They are found on coyotes as well as deer (the deer tick). As I recall it is the tick larvae that actually transmits lyme disease.

Handle dead critters with rubber gloves at a minimum. Unless they are intended for the supper table I tend to leave them where they lay.

JJ, the best video you could possibly watch about howling for coyotes is Ed Sceery's howling for coyotes. When howling you are actually speaking a language more so than distress cries. Call me crazy but I think the abundance of electronic calls have resulted in many inexperienced people randomly pushing buttons wich has caused coyotes to be very call shy to the howl. If you howl you should know exactly why you are making that particular howl.

As for my own personal experience with coyotes that howl back but dont come in my theory is that you are not in their territory. More than likely you are very close to but not quite in their territory. Try sneaking in closer to where you hear them and try another set. After watching Ed's video you will be able to tell what the coyotes are saying back to you. They might be challenging you, they might just be announcing where there territory is, and they might be saying F you we know exactly where and what you are.

Good luck, some of my most exciting sets involved howling.

We had lots of rabbits down on my parents farm. Plus lots of wood ticks. Hell when I was a boy I would spend the whole day down in the river bottom. Hunreds of wood ticks later I was always allright. One day my wife called me and said , that my youngest had a tick that she noticed while giving her a bath that night . I instructed her to pull it and about a week later my daughter woke up ill and had huge bumps on her neck. I took her to the doctor , he said nothing to worry about that she was just fighting off a virus. She wasn't better a week later went back to doctor . Again they said it would be ok just a virus. A week later again she could keep any food down. Took her to a different doctor they took blood and said get her to childerens hospital in omaha asap. We left that night and they had a room for us when we arrived on the center for infectious deseaze floor . Lady looked at her and asked if she had been bitten by anything I thought tick. Wham o she said tullareama. Blood work came back positive for that. Three weeks later we were let out of hospital. Talk about a close call . It was horrible . Ive learned that ticks can be serious

My understanding is that mange is caused by mites and is only really a problem when the population gets big. I don't even touch any mangy dogs I shoot. I hear some guys say they bury them to stop the spread. That seems like a good idea however most of the time I'm coyote hunting the ground is frozen and I don't have a shovel in hand.

In regards to dogs howling but not coming in it is my opinion that in those situations the coyotes have busted you and they're not coming in. I have only seen a few coyotes come in after howling. Mostly when they come in they are silent but not necessarily every time.

hello, i called in a yote with mange if thats how you spell it well i was wondering if anone knows about it and if it is passed down through the blood stream and how often it occors.
Also i am new to howling what does it mean if you how and they answer but dont come in. i know nothing works every time but i would enjoy some help . thanks for helping

For educational purposes, this is mange on a coyote.

220 yards, offhand with the .243 win. 2012, the year my rifle never spent a day silent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 117
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.