Daypack choice/weight/gear

Thanks for all the replies!

In the last few days, I have gotten so much advice, there are so many good options. I think the broadness of the advice comes from the fact that hunting areas, styles and conditions vary so much that there are many options.

I took back my BL Clutch, as I decided it was too heavy, and for the most part, I did not need the big space, unless I was hauling meat. I also did not like the rifle carrying system. But for 99% of my use, it was too big, which caused the real problem, which was weight.

In the beginning, as in months ago when I started thinking about this, I wanted a frame pack, with just a small daypack strapped to it. Then if I got something on the ground, the frame could haul it comfortably. But in the meantime, I could just lash my rifle to the frame as well as the small pack, so a light and versatile solution.

I've kind of come back to that, albeit at a much higher price point which I seriously question. I am thinking of going with a Kifaru frame, but then getting a small (like 1800 ci) bag to strap on it. Due to cost and the fact that I like their layout, I am looking at a Kuiu 1850 pro. It has been suggested that it will mate up to the Kifaru frame no problem, it's lightweight, it has the organization style that I like and it's relatively cheap. Money aside, I would find a Kifaru solution, but that's just too much for me to swallow in one bite, and I might actually prefer the Kuiu layout. Later, as funds and usage dictate, I can add a Kifaru bag and pass down the Kuiu to my son if I think that's best.

If I go this route, I'll have a lightweight solution with the frame I mentioned that can really comfortably pack weight, the small bag size I wanted for manueverability and general use, a good rifle hauling system, and a system I can grow into that has a great reputation for quality, durability, and flexibility.

The downsides that are keeping me from pulling the trigger? COST. Even forgoing the Kifaru bag, this is not (for me) a very affordable choice. And really arising from that, while one does not want to underbuy, overbuying is also stupid when resources are as limited as they are for me. I am also concerned that despite what I am told, the Kuiu bag will not fit, and in that case, I just can't go that far.

That being said, the price on the Clutch was $340. Once I am spending that much, I am then looking for a complete longterm solution that works in as many circumstances as possible, even if I have to spend more. If I am spending $100 I can afford to move on to something else in a few years, but at that level, I am willing to go further to get significantly more.

So to that end, I am talking with Aron from Kifaru hopefully today to get his advice. Hopefully I can work out a good solution that hits the spot and provides me the long term flexibility I am looking for. If it works, it will only cost me about $100 more than the price for the Clutch for what I am told is a higher functioning system that has great growth potential. Just not sure I am ready to go quite that far, or if it makes sense in terms of need etc...

Will Eberlestock Gunrunner - fit McMillan A5 with 30in barrel and Nightforce 5.5x22x56in barrel up?

I know for sure the LoDrag will do it (my hunting partner used one) but is to heavy for one day pack just to have your rifle and food inside.
we haul the meat out with ATV or horses and we need small daypack for food / water, rain gear and first aid equipment.

Regards
chris

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.