Gear Weight Considerations

+1

Nothing wrong with the .270WSM, but there are only a couple of decent LR bullets available, and they aren't plentiful or cheap. You can get the 162gr A-Max in 7mm, which makes for some fairly economical practice. If you want more bullet for longer shots on larger animals, you can use the 180gr VLD or Hybrid, and the 195gr EOL is supposed to come out soon, which will arrive on target like a freight train.
The Hornady Interbond 154gr has a BC of .525 and opens well enough to leave a 2" hole in a deer or coyote at 1000yds.

It also retains enough of its weight to drive completely through both shoulders at the same range.

The 162gr SST has a BC of .550 and will do the same with even greater precision and energy on target while still opening adequately and retaining enough mass to ensure full penetration.

I have less experience with the Swift Sirocco but so far the 150gr with it's .515 BC is performing very well for me as well.

If one has a desire to move up to the bullets you are talking about it will require a custom barrel as the factory rifle makers are not chambering 7mm Mag's with enough twist to stabilize them.

Only the 195 EOL will require a non-factory twist, and that's debatable.

The 162 A-Max has a BC of 0.625, and I've personally driven it through both shoulders of deer at less than 50 yards, with a 1.5" exit.

Lots of good LR bullets in 7mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts