Day pack/ rifle scabbard recommendation

trueblue

So, after getting a hip replaced this winter, I am focusing on lightening my load that I carry on a daily basis.
I am looking for the lightest day back pack setup that will carry my 11# long range rifle with a 28" barrel.
I would like to hear what you guys use for your daily setups, and pictures would be appreciated as well.

I just made the switch from an Eberle to a Exo Mountain 5500. I haven't had much time with it as work has me super busy but the little I had it out I have been very happy with the weight and fit so far. Another plus is when I have it in day mode it is super small (sorry about the sideways pic).

Attachments

• 20160228_202104.jpg
    20160228_202104.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 230
Eberle gun runner is a nice small day pack. Gun sits in the middle of your back, comfy as a pack can get.

Thanks for some feedback. Right now, I am using a 8 1/2# Eberlee pack.
I want to find a setup that the pack weighs 4# with some kind of internal frame, and a way to carry a rifle, whether it has a built in scabbard, or mount a Kifaru scabbard on the pack. I don't carry much on a day hunt.
Looking at the Eberlee gunrunner at present.

Express,
The scabbard on this model looks like it would be to small for a Nightforce NXS scope, which is what I use. But thanks for the post, looks like it might have worked otherwise.
Not sure if it can even be bought in the US either.

Trueblue,
This probably won't interest you because it's kind of jerry rigged. I recently purchase a kuiu 3000 ultra pack. Has a carbon fiber frame and a 3000 cu in pack. It weighs in at 3 lbs. They come with lots of places to attach extra straps and came with several extra straps. Purchase it more for my archery hunts where I pack in for a night or two. I too have been using an eberlestock pack for my rifle hunts. I liked the way the kuiu fit and is just plan a lot lighter. So I decided that I needed a way to pack a rifle on the kuiu. I had purchased a stock cover for my eberlestock, so I took it attached a couple of the extra straps that came with the kuiu and then attached it to the pack. Put my rifle barrel down in it and then just took a strap that I had laying around, put it around the frame and tightened it down on the stock. Now I will admit I haven't taken it hunting, but have wore it around the house, outside and etc. It feels secure and pretty comfortable. The down side is I have to take the pack off to get my rifle, but at my age I seem to be too stiff to get the rifle out of my eberlestock without taking it off, so for me it's no difference. Probably doesn't help. Good luck

I run a Nimrod fanny pack.Then they are modular, lots of options.Mine I think is Pinnacle.There is even a smaller fanny under it but you still get web belt,which I keep my lazer on and other items.In picture I run the buckle on water bladder holder, and I rigged my own QD buckles on front D rings for my Swaro's.They where one first for rifle or bow carry.I front carry with safari sling for grizz areas.I have one set up for bow and one for rifle,my bow one I put double bow holders off web soI can class hands free.

Attachments

• IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 170
Question, where do you get the chance to try on a kuiu? I am short, 5'6" and not very big, 145 dripping wet. The eberlestock's are too big, as in I cannot tighten them up enough to get the weight onto my hips instead of on the shoulders. I do a fair amount of backpacking during the offseason and tried several packs before I found one where I can carry a 40# kit for several days. That is tent, sleeping bag, food, clothes, stove fuel and water.

Hunting I usually carry a day pack but have not been able to find one to make an extended hunt with. When I need to go for 2-3 days I carry my big pack and have tied a sling that fits over both shoulders and over my pack. I have heard great things about the kuiu packs but want to try one on before I drop that kind of change.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.