Daughter wants a new (smaller and lighter) rifle....

SevenStainlessNoScope_Right.png

This is a great choice. My daughter has taken many deer and two bears with the 260. Good luck with whichever you choose.

I was going to point you towards a 6.5 creedmoor until you said that most shots are under 100yds. I know this is blasphemy on the long range hunting forum, but why not get her a Winchester 94 30-30? They are light, thin and feel good in the hand. The 30-30 is a light recoiling round and for your ranges more than adequate. If you want a newer more high-tech cartridge I think a 6.5grendel would be amazing.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cz-527-american-65-grendel-bolt-action-rifle
I grew up with a .32 Winchester Special - model 94 - and a 4x fixed weaver scope - mounted on the side - so still had iron sights for thick Southern Oregon woods - and the scope for more open/longer shots. With today's ammo - can easily stretch from the old 150 or so yards out to beyond 200. Have converted to Bolt action 30.06 and 300 Win Mag - but loved the ole lever action.

Also - think the best advice is take your daughter to a couple of gun stores and check out all the good factory made rifles available today. She could find what she really likes - and you should be able to get a very serviceable gun for say $700 or less - and $300 will buy a plenty good scope that can do the job. For hunting - lots of glass choices - but don't forget Burris - along with of course - Leupold, Vortex, Nikon, etc.

I set up my bosses Kimber Mountain Assent in 7mm-08 for his wife and she LOVES it! With scope and all it's around 6-6.5 pounds. It has a break on it and shoots 3/4 to 1/2 inch groups with Nosler factory loads.

Background. My grown daughter is an avid hunter (for someone who works, is a full time student, etc.). So I guess you can say, she goes hunting when she can. She has taken a whitetail buck a few years back with her rifle, shot under one a couple of years back with her brother's rifle. Wants to kill a hog, you get the picture.

I bought her a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 about 5 years ago or so. She is shooting full power ammo (my reloads) and recoil is not an issue but the Savage has a pretty thick barrel and some heft to it which mitigates the recoil somewhat. But she commented on this past weekend's hunt that she would like a lighter rifle. I just weighed the Savage and with scope (Bushnell 1-5x32), Ken Farrall 1" rings, Griffin can (the SS baffle and Aluminum can), sling, cheek pad and 5 rounds of .308 weighs in a shade over 10lbs. I'm guessing stripped it's an 8lb rifle.

She doesn't care for the AR platform, she likes bolt guns. Finding a lighter rifle is not a problem but finding one with enough punch without a substantial increase in recoil.

I've shot some kid sized, lightweight .243 rifles that had a pretty good kick. And the single shot rifles are out. Even though I've taken a pretty good sized buck with an AR in 5.56, I think she needs more than that.

So, I'm thinking about one of the rifles chambered in 7.62x39. Most of our shots are limited to 70-80 yards at most. But a 150-200 yard shot could come up occasionally. Her first dear was a 120 yards. We live in the southeast and there's not many opportunities for long range shots.

I've looked at the Ruger Ranch, the Howa, the Zastava and the CZ. Only the Ruger and Howa are threaded.

But then I saw that they all are also chambered in a 6.5 Grendel.

And there's the option to rebarrel the Savage but I'm not leaning in that direction because when I buy her a new rifle, Pops gets the Savage.

So what do you guys think? Thanks.
Browning micro hunter in 243 wsm is everything you want . There are other options in calibers but a really great light platform with little recoil

I've just been through a similar process in getting a grandkids gun that is good for Africa, too.
The Kimber Hunter models are outstanding and very light. The 308Win weighs 5lb 7oz bare. With Talley rings and a 2-7 Nikon it is still under 6.5 lb. Prices on the Kimber are moderate ($800). While more than the Ruger American (also a great gun and price point), the Kimber would make a great replacement for a 10lb rifle!

PS: The Tikka T3x are also great, but their twist in 308Win is 11", just a tad slow for the many mono-metal bullet offerings.

Background. My grown daughter is an avid hunter (for someone who works, is a full time student, etc.). So I guess you can say, she goes hunting when she can. She has taken a whitetail buck a few years back with her rifle, shot under one a couple of years back with her brother's rifle. Wants to kill a hog, you get the picture.

I bought her a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 about 5 years ago or so. She is shooting full power ammo (my reloads) and recoil is not an issue but the Savage has a pretty thick barrel and some heft to it which mitigates the recoil somewhat. But she commented on this past weekend's hunt that she would like a lighter rifle. I just weighed the Savage and with scope (Bushnell 1-5x32), Ken Farrall 1" rings, Griffin can (the SS baffle and Aluminum can), sling, cheek pad and 5 rounds of .308 weighs in a shade over 10lbs. I'm guessing stripped it's an 8lb rifle.

She doesn't care for the AR platform, she likes bolt guns. Finding a lighter rifle is not a problem but finding one with enough punch without a substantial increase in recoil.

I've shot some kid sized, lightweight .243 rifles that had a pretty good kick. And the single shot rifles are out. Even though I've taken a pretty good sized buck with an AR in 5.56, I think she needs more than that.

So, I'm thinking about one of the rifles chambered in 7.62x39. Most of our shots are limited to 70-80 yards at most. But a 150-200 yard shot could come up occasionally. Her first dear was a 120 yards. We live in the southeast and there's not many opportunities for long range shots.

I've looked at the Ruger Ranch, the Howa, the Zastava and the CZ. Only the Ruger and Howa are threaded.

And there's the option to rebarrel the Savage but I'm not leaning in that direction because when I buy her a new rifle, Pops gets the Savage.

I haven't read all the replies, but I had the same issue and went with a Savage Lady Hunter in 243 and put a muzzle break on it. It's light and a dream to shoot... 1/2 MOA accuracy.

im replieing to libertyman777. I sugest you buy a youth model 7mm08 browing x bolt . you want be disappointed. .I bought one for my grand son, Its a real tack driver.

I just picked up a Howa 6.5CM. It is very light recoil and has shot every type of factory ammo I have tried so far very well.

Tikka T3x Lite... About 6lbs and 3-4 oz. Light...Great shooters right out of the box, with an action that betters any 700 Rem. I have owned. And - you will not need to square the action, polish the lugs, mil the bolt face in order to get a great shooter....as you might with some brands.

Ok, fyi everyone, the 6.5 cm is great, but it aint doing anything the 7mm08 wasnt already doing. The bullet weights in the 7mm08 also give you a lot more flexibility too. But, in a light rifle, it can still be a lil snappy. The tc compace is threaded for a brake and are known to be very accurate, and inexpensive. After that my vote is for the ruger American compact in 300aac or 762x39 or the 7mm08 or 6.5cm. Those ruger Americans keep on shootin like a dream no matter whose ive shot. I know milage may very but so far, I havent seen a bad one. The little 300 calibers are very mild recoil and cheaper to shoot. Heck, you cant get much cheaper than 762x39...One consideration in weight is an optic. I love big heavy glass but man it sucks to carry it. just watch the specs before you buy. Oh, full disclosure- I shoot most all my white tails with a mossberg mvp in 223/556. probably around 35 northeast deer dead so far, so dont get too caught up in the caliber debate. Get caught up with getting good with the rifle and truly enjoying Gods creation. Be a good steward and make responsible shots.

I have both a 6.5 CM and 7mm-08. They're both stainless Tikka's. I've had the 7mm-08 several years now and have taken many mule deer and one elk (all 250 yards or less). I use 140 grain bullets. The 7mm-08 Tikka has been a great accurate rifle and none of the deer and one elk went more than 40 yards after only one shot.

I picked up the 6.5 CM Tikka back in the spring. It is no joke...this round is inherently accurate!!! The rifle was sighted in with just the first three shots through the barrel. The next five shots were a clover leaf. This was done using Hornady's 143 ELDx ammo. I used the rifle for my Montana mule deer hunt this fall. A nice 3-pt buck presented himself at 100 yards. One and done! The 143 ELDx dropped the buck in its tracks.

The Tikka's are great light, accurate rifles. With a scope, sling, and being loaded, you're looking at 8.5 lbs or less depending on which model you get. I carry the rifle all day long while hunting in the mountains of WA, ID, and MT and my arms are not exhausted at the end of the day. You really can't go wrong with either of these two calibers in a Tikka. My freezer full of venison each year is proof!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.