Danzac or other non moly coatings

Randy in Va

What actual experience is out there with non moly coatings. I am a big fan of moly but I do not want to use it with my new big one with 70,000 copper units pressure. Can anyone address these by experience or direct me to a reliable source.

Thanx

Randy,
is that 408 operating at 70,000 psi or 70,000 CUP? I thought it was 70k psi not CUP, could be wrong though.

I heard that moly is acidic and will cause corrosion because it cannot be removed from the bore. The USMC shooting team, I also heard are the only ones to have access to the non-acidic moly too.

I did a test where I took a piece of 4130 and heat treated it to rc 38. This plate was then surface ground.
Took some molypaste and placed it on the plate. Took another plate and placed it under our 200 ton press and placed 75 tons of pressure for 30 mins on it to press it into the metal.
Soaked it for 12 hours in water, then in salt water, after inspecting it with a eletronic microscope no noted corrosion was apparent or surface dimples.
Next I placed the plate in the oven and brought it up to 400 degrees and let it soak for 5 mins. Allowed to air cool till room tempreature and re-examined it for corrosion, no noted corrosion.
Placed in water and salt water no noted corrosion.
My tests did not show corrosion resulted from exposure to moly.
I do not use moly coated bullets as they take forever in my gun to settle the barrel in, there is no such thing as a fouling shot when moly is used as it reacts differently each and every time a cold bore shot has been taken, this is in my gun only but have seen this happen to others who have used it.

[ 11-17-2002: Message edited by: daveosok ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.