Dakota Pheasants

webs

Just a heads up for anyone looking to pheasant hunt either North or South Dakota, it has been a pretty rough year for it. South Dakota was just hit by an awful storm that dumped up to 40" of snow in some areas and both states had horrible springs as well. We went out this weekend hunting a bunch of private land in SW North Dakota and walks that would normally have up to 50 birds had a few or none. Saw maybe 10 hens the entire weekend as well.

Was out in S.D. by the Missouri river, in Potter Co., deer hunting the last of Nov, and I seen lots (hundreds) of pheasant, both roosters and hens in cover, and in the corn stubble. me and my bro in law came to the conclusion that the population was not as bad as stated buy the GFPs people. There was still a lot of standing corn, and that would have made for hard bird hunting, it wasn't easy on deer hunting either.
I think the pheasants will be back up next year, from my observations.

barracudadave67

We hunted pheasants in Winter South Dakota for 5 days. There were 11 in our group limited out every day by 2 in the afternoon. I will agree the bird population was down we didn't see the big flocks of 100 to 200 birds fly up 200 yards in front of us. The flocks we did see we're small 7 to 8 birds

I hunted on public land in SW ND the second week of November this year and my buddy and I brought back 23 of our allowed 24 in possession in five days of hunting. There were a ton of birds and as many as we always see in the area we hunt every year. Having a good DD pointer definitely helped to pin birds down so we could do that, as they were as wild as ever again this year with many running or flying way out ahead of us and the dog. We literally saw hundreds of birds every day just like we always do out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.