Dakota Arms Discontinues Miller Rifles

Panhead57

I recently noticed that Dakota Arm's 2019 catalog no longer features the Dakota Miller single shot rifle built on the DeHaas Miller action.

I sent Dakota an email and they confirmed they have stopped making them. I own 2 Dakota Miller Classic rifles that not only exhibit beautiful workmanship but are also tack drivers. One is chambered in 7mm Rem Mag and the other in 300 Win Mag.

It's a shame these will no longer be made.
41efb01d-58c2-4550-b4d8-a62b9b8519e6_zpsp2jmzhae.jpg
46E0CF69-3037-4EA5-A203-8E3F7C537AA3_zpshdxeed2r.jpg

I'm a sucker for AAA+/exhibition Walnut. That's a beautiful rifle and I got a couple of AAA+ Coopers myself. The problem for me is, they just become safe queens because they are just too nice to hump the brush with.

That's the kind of rifle I could imagine using in a heated blind with my slippers on, a silk bathrobe with ascot and a snifter of brandy. After the shot, I'd say: "James, would you pick that one up please."

All kidding aside, it's beautiful and a keeper. I spoke to a Cooper retailer several months back and he told me that guys just don't want wood rifles anymore. I'll bet Dakota is making a business decision here. At any rate, someday they will be back in style or at least very cool to have. I own rifles I don't even hunt with, I just take them out of the safe, put them in my padded vise, pour 2 fingers of whatever and thoroughly enjoy just looking at them. Cheers!

Beautiful rifles. Personally I've always wanted a well stocked ruger #1 in 7x57 Mauser. I have no real idea why that cartridge. But having solid tool type rifles has always taken priority. Lately since my kids are starting to shoot now I've been contemplating buying two heirloom type rifles.

It's a shame Cyle Miller sold the rights to Dakota Arms. His dad Dean Miller is rolling over in the grave again.

My wife is from the area the Millers operated C.D. Miller Guns and then Miller Arms.

I'm a sucker for AAA+/exhibition Walnut. That's a beautiful rifle and I got a couple of AAA+ Coopers myself. The problem for me is, they just become safe queens because they are just too nice to hump the brush with.

That's the kind of rifle I could imagine using in a heated blind with my slippers on, a silk bathrobe with ascot and a snifter of brandy. After the shot, I'd say: "James, would you pick that one up please."

All kidding aside, it's beautiful and a keeper. I spoke to a Cooper retailer several months back and he told me that guys just don't want wood rifles anymore. I'll bet Dakota is making a business decision here. At any rate, someday they will be back in style or at least very cool to have. I own rifles I don't even hunt with, I just take them out of the safe, put them in my padded vise, pour 2 fingers of whatever and thoroughly enjoy just looking at them. Cheers!

YZ-80
Funny you should mention a heated blind! Here's a pic of one of my sons hunting from a blind here in Texas. No silk robe or slippers, but he did take
D96A3FAE-B9C3-430C-8B16-759ADA4F5640_zpso4k9my11.jpg

a nice Aoudad at 325 yards with the Miller 300 Win Mag.

I agree with you about not using nice wood stocked rifles to hold down barbed wire fences while crossing them. My favorite stalking rifles sport synthetic stocks. One is a Dakota 76 that started life as a 22-250 with fancy wood. I didn't have much use for that caliber and ended up sending it to Hill Country Rifles for a re-barrel to 6.5mm Creedmoor and re-stocking with a McMilan Hunter's Edge. It's now lighter, more rugged, and consistently shoots 0.20 MOA groups with factory 120gr Barnes VOR-TX ammo.

I'm another fan of pretty wood rifles. I have several Coopers with nice looking stocks and admire those Dakotas for sure.
I think part of the problem that they aren't more popular is that today's shooters have been "brainwashed" into thinking that a rifle can't be accurate unless it is in a synthetic stock. I own and shoot both the pretty wood and synthetic stocked rifles depending on the hunt and conditions and appreciate both.
Gary

I grew up with the wood stocks, I am trying to make walnut grips for my pistols. I was ashamed when I scratched my first rifle at 11 year old. My dad opened a walnut when we got home and had me rub it on the scratch. If you didn't know it was scratched, you never would be able to see it.
Myself, I have both types of stocks. I like the feel of wood better than synthetics, maybe because the wood and I are the same age.

When I had my 338 built I had Accurate Innovation build
the stock. Did not want AAAA wood as it was going into
the brush and did not want to abuse the wood.
She is a pretty Blonde that is doing what she was built for.
Love HER!

Don't be afraid to take 'em out in the field! That's what they're for.
Gary

View attachment 145594 View attachment 145596 View attachment 145595

Gary,

Those are a couple of rather large whistle-pigs, both taken with a very classy rifle. Nice shooting, Sir. I grew up in western PA, where I used to do a lot of woodchuck hunting. After every summer I spent getting myself dialed in by blistering a bunch of woodchucks, the local deer herd was in SERIOUS trouble. I'm not sure which was more fun - the woodchucks or the deer. It was all good.

Nick

Gary,

Those are a couple of rather large whistle-pigs, both taken with a very classy rifle. Nice shooting, Sir. I grew up in western PA, where I used to do a lot of woodchuck hunting. After every summer I spent getting myself dialed in by blistering a bunch of woodchucks, the local deer herd was in SERIOUS trouble. I'm not sure which was more fun - the woodchucks or the deer. It was all good.

Nick
Hey Nick. Got 2 degrees from
IUP and used to hunt chucks all the time during grad school in the mid-90s in Clearfield county on a 220 acre farm. Got a lot of rifles from Grices! My record is 8 in one 2 hour hunt up there. Land is posted now. How I long for the good Ol' days stalkin' the fields with a .22-250 or .243 and a pouch of Redman!

Recent Posts