Dad's first deer with pistol

338weatherby

My dad has been in failing health for a few years now. Bad legs, circulation, and on O2 off and on through the day as needed. With covid the last two prior seasons, he didn't want to come up to the hunting shack. Prior to those forgettable years, he would maybe make it out 100 yards from the shack to sit in a blind I set up for him along with a buddy heater. His last deer was in 2009. He decided that he'd come to the shack this year, but not spend the nights because of O2 and CPAP machine. The shack is about 1.5 hours away for him. With the ride (and him not being a morning person) he decided to just hunt the afternoons. We have a little opening on the logging road that runs through our property which is maybe 40 x 80 yards in size and borders a public land stand of pines. My dad wanted to drive his Cherokee to this opening and sit (has permit to hunt from vehicle) until the evening on the days he'd show up. I figure maybe the slimmest of odds that he'll see something, let alone get a shot. Now this opening is maybe 80-100 yards through the woods from a permanent heated box stand that I built for him 10 years ago. That stand is elevated and he only hunted in it that first year, just wasn't comfortable climbing into it. Anyway, I was worried that parking that car near this other stand would mess things up. I decided against bringing that up and thought, I'm just glad he's out of the house and hunting. Never thought he'd be up again. This last Saturday, just my dad and I were at the shack. When he showed up, he asked if I could do him a favor. I said sure, what's up? Well he dropped his Taurus .41 mag with a Burris Fast Fire while leaving the house. He was worried about the sight and wanted me to check zero. So I grabbed a box and went in the yard, paced off 20 yards and bang, no hit! I saw a spray of snow and figured I'd try at 10 yards. I took aim and, bang, 16" low and right in the snow. Oh oh. I went in and asked if he had the paper work on the Burris sight so I'd now the travel on it, he didn't. So I grabbed a small screwdriver, a handful of rounds, and a sheet of scrap tin siding. It took a little but I got it zeroed at 20 yards for him. I wanted to go farther but was worried he didn't bring enough ammo. We decided he could hold a little high if needed. We glad we checked the sight. At about 4:45 that afternoon, a small spike buck stepped out of the pines on the passenger side of the vehicle. The little buck stood and watched as he opened the door and stood up to shoot. I heard the shot and figured it was him. I headed over with a big *** smile on my face and when I got there, dad was in his car and gave a thumbs up. I haven't been that happy about a deer getting shot since my daughters got their firsts! Long winded post but I've been thinking about this since Saturday night. We all post and love to talk about our kids getting the game. I never thought of this feeling happening. I'm proud of dad for getting out and doing it. I hate to say it, but it may well be his last deer as it was truly a surprise that he came up this year. It was dark when we got back and I was rushing to make dinner and clean up. I forgot to take pictures and that is what is bothering me now. We have one more weekend and he is supposed to come up Saturday again. I don't think I will forget to get one of us this time. Just won't have the deer in it. I owe my gun addiction to my dad and his father and I always remind him of that when I show him another new rifle! That I'd share....

Your a Fantastic Son , very proud of you & your Pops for getting out there ,Congratulations to you both ,great true like story &thks for sharing,take many pictures as you can &, snap some without telling him!!!, Cheers 😉🧐🤣🍻🍾🍻