CZ 550 458 lott vs Winchester Safari express

stefan416

Dear all members, big game hunters. I found a CZ 550 458 lott that I am very interested in. My question is as I have never tried to put a CZ 550 up to my shoulder but I have Winchester safari express 416 RM and Sako 75 synthetic 375 h&h. Which both fit very good. However I tried a remington 700 375 h&h, and I have no idea how to bend my head and neck yo be able to get the iron sights in line. Now any information on the CZ 550. Let me know. Have a great evening.
Regards Stefan

550 works, fine just a rougher action and feel all around. Id still feel fine with one.
if the animal may decide to stomp/maul you I don't trust a sako with an ejector at 6 o'clock in a dangerous game cartridge. Had two different 375's drop empties off the scope and back into the action on me. I bet the replacement to the 85 action will be a big change just to get that empty to kick out sideways.
I love sakos in most any cal that's 300win mag and smaller but the bigger rounds and a large scope combo can lead to issues

The CZ 550 safari rifles I have examined in USA have a pretty straight comb and I had no trouble seeing the iron sights. The fit was similar to my Ruger in 375 H&H. Now I have the Ruger rifle in 375 Ruger and the fit is the same. Some of the CZ's have a European shaped comb with a bit of a curve to it, but I have not handled one yet. I would suggest you try to find a similar model local to you and test mounting the rifle. Maybe someone at a club or range could let you handle one. I can't address the issue with the REM 700, unless the stock was set up for a high mounted scope. The iron sights on my Ruger do not interfere with the scope view.

The CZ 550 safari rifles I have examined in USA have a pretty straight comb and I had no trouble seeing the iron sights. The fit was similar to my Ruger in 375 H&H. Now I have the Ruger rifle in 375 Ruger and the fit is the same. Some of the CZ's have a European shaped comb with a bit of a curve to it, but I have not handled one yet. I would suggest you try to find a similar model local to you and test mounting the rifle. Maybe someone at a club or range could let you handle one. I can't address the issue with the REM 700, unless the stock was set up for a high mounted scope. The iron sights on my Ruger do not interfere with the scope view.
I have a remington 700 custom deluxe 7 mm RM and that one fits like a glove. I have had run ins with two different safari remington 700 and there is no way I can bend myself to see the sight

CZ's have a rather long length of pull 14+". As stated above actions can be a little rough. Actions are big! I believe 5 in the magazine of a Lott! Also you can seat the bullets out a long ways! Not a nimble rifle. Fairly heavy (which might be a good thing in a .458 Lott! Bolt is easily disassembled without tools. Personally I love'em!!!

CZ's have a rather long length of pull 14+". As stated above actions can be a little rough. Actions are big! I believe 5 in the magazine of a Lott! Also you can seat the bullets out a long ways! Not a nimble rifle. Fairly heavy (which might be a good thing in a .458 Lott! Bolt is easily disassembled without tools. Personally I love'em!!!
Thank you for the information. I'm curious about the stock similarities with winchester model 70 safari express as the winchester with Monte Carlo stock and American stock fits me perfectly.

I would probably admit that the Winchester stocks fit me better. Shorter length of pull and not so "beefy."

Check with these guys for info and suggestions for the CZ 550. They built me a 404 Jeffrey from a magnum action that is out of this world. Top notch skilled builder.