Cutting Edge Bullets, What Works For You?

Joel, that was very informative thank you. Do you still shoot the Big Baer or did you step up even more? 300 SMK at 3200 fps is really smokin.

'Solid' means a mono-metal copper bullet and 'solid core' bullet means a lead core jacketed bullet? Is that the correct interpretation of your use of these two terms?

That's exactly what I thought, but not according to the discussion the other day. I referred to a Barnes as a solid and was informed they are not "solids" only bullets that do not expand are referred to as "solids" I guess. Even if they are solid copper mono metals. I always referred to any mono metal solid copper bullet as a solid, and any lead core as just that, lead core jacketed bullets. But it seems I was incorrect in my bullet terminology and I was corrected by a few member on this site.

Makes no difference to me. I use what works best for me. I know how my bullet works and use it to my best advantage. And oddly enough I have never started a negative thread about bullet performance. I have only reported as to what worked well, and supported my statements with all the documentation I could supply. My freezer is full, no one I took out ate their tag and we didn't track one animal. So I am happy.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for your input so far on what has worked well for you with CEB's. I really like the potential offered by these bullets and I hope that I will be able to figure out how to make them work in my rifle.

The bore rider/seal tite band design is unlike anything I have ever used before and that has posed challenges to me in terms of understanding how the bullets behave and how to proceed in load development. In my limited work with the CEB's, as has been noted by others, it has appeared to me that they do not seem to be sensitive to powder charge. I haven't been sure what needed to be done with seating depth either. I have noted with interest comments that indicate lots of jump as being desirable AND that the window for preferred seating depth is so small. I will tinker with that a bit and go from there.

I also find the comments about CEB's being especially sensitive to bore diameter and runout to be noteworthy. I will do more research on those topics as well.

I also typically do my initial testing and workup at 100 yards, then test my final load at longer ranges to verify its performance and tweak if needed. Has anyone found that CEB's need distance to "go to sleep"?

Thanks, again, to all of you for sharing your experiences with CEB's. I truly appreciate your advice.

Reuben,

I shot the C48's and C32's and used 98 gr of Retumbo for both. I didn't shoot the 48's to long ranges but they grouped a little better than the 48's which I did shoot to 1K. Velocity was close to 3450 out of a 26" Sendero. I'll be trying the 200 gr C22's as well in my 10" twist. I'm expecting to push them to over 3200 out of a 27" nitrided barrel. I was able to push 200 AB's to 3200 out of the Sendero. Depending on the Retumbo load results, I might try RL33 but suspect it may be a little to slow for them.

What was your load for the C22's?

101 grains of H-870 for 3250 with a 28" pipe. I horded 4 pounds for a while and was down to the last of it and decided to try these out. The bearing surface is very low for how long these bullets are so I wouldn't be surprised if you can duplicate your accubond load or exceed it.

Reuben

I did not have much love from the 338 class bullets but the 6.5 140's I had for testing were phenomenal and I have not been able to better them on accuracy with any other bullet in that particular rifle, I don't think I can find one fault with that particular bullet except i,t like any solid copper or bonded bullet you get weak wound channels when they start slowing down.

Joel, that was very informative thank you. Do you still shoot the Big Baer or did you step up even more? 300 SMK at 3200 fps is really smokin.

Shooting a variation of if, but for all practical purposes.. it's the same.

I can run them faster, but in all the years of shooting and experimenting with it, I found that the node for accuracy is 3,200 fps.

When I say accuracy, I am referring to hanging a 1k target at a mile and shooting groups. On paper, so that one can measure and evaluate the hard data.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.