Cutting Edge 425/13-6.5 Gain twist

Augustus

I have been shooting some of the new 425 gr Cutting Edge bullets out of the Bartlien 13/6.5 gain twist barrel. This barrel loves these bullets. First five shot group at 1770 yds was .5 vertical and .75 horizontal. BC seems to be around 1.0 at 1000 yds and .96 at 1770.

I fired at Moa sized targets at various distances out to 1770. This thing is bad to the bone.

I am shooting a fairly mild load of 138 gr BMG at 2760. They can be pushed to around 2900 with 869 but I haven't tested this load for accuracy or consistency yet.

Augustus:

Since you are new to this new forum, you might want to tell the folks a bit about this one of your rifles, staring with cartridge ID.

Best regards.

Well, I'm not new to the Forum but it's a Lawton 8000, Bartlien 13/6.5 gain twist 375 Chey-tac. Mcmillian A-5 stock

Augustus:

I meant the LRH ELR forum, not LRH. Compared to SH, this forum is VERY new, so almost everyone is a "new" or relatively new poster to it.

What's the barrel length?

Thanks.

30 in, I fired a few rds yesterday to see how fast the 425s could be pushed. 140 gr of BMG gave 2830 and 2826, extraction was good and there were no signs of excessive pressure.

I also fired 145 gr of US869, velocity was 2950 and 2966. Pressure seemed to be ok but this is approaching max.

I did push a little harder with 147 gr of US 869. I only fired one Rd. Velocity was 3001 fps. A new pc of brass was used, the Rd extracted ok but there was perceptible resistance. The primer was flattened a fair amount. DON'T DO THIS FOLKS, US 869 has a habit of spiking quickly with very little warning. Anyway pushing a 425 gr bullet at 3000 fps is hummin.

Augustus, do you know what standard twist it would take to stabilize these bullets, or does cutting edge have a recommendation.

Terry keep the information coming.

I'm glad you finally got out and shot some. I see you took the 338/408 barrel off and put the spin-master gain back on. What is the next stage for testing going to be?

Jeffvn

The 425s are still in the testing phase. CE cut these at the request of a customer. Dan sent me a hand full to run through the 6.5 barrel just to see how they acted. The first few shot really well so he sent another batch for further testing.

All I can tell you is they shoot extremely well form the Bartlien 13-6.5 gain twist. They have been fired out of a 7.8 exit twist by the customer who requested them. He was testing them out of a new case he developed and he indicated he had trouble with his dies and is waiting on those to be delivered. He also has ordered other barrels with tighter twist rates.

Bottom line is that no one really knows what the optimum twist rate will be. I have a constant 8 twist barrel I could screw on and see how they do but I hate to tear my rig apart.

As far as I know myself and the other customer is the only people who have fired them. These things are monsters. I have been shooting at a mile and spotting my own hits. When shooting at rocks they make a very big splash. On steel they are harder to spot than an SMK out of my 338/408.

Augustus:

I was comparing what you report with Kirby Allen's 375 Allen Magnum. I noted (for his set-up):

1. "...33" barrel length"

2. "...starting at around 16 lbs ready to hunt with."

If you were to go with a new barrel - knowing what you do now - do you think you'd go with a longer barrel? If so, how long?

How heavy is your rig and which brake are you using?

Thanks.

Jeff, actually the 338/408 is a whole different rifle, it is an 8500 action, Lawton 9 twist Idaho taper 30 in. In length. It has an A3-5 stock. I like this stock much better than the A-5 that is on the 8000 action.

ELR, I have never tested a 375 with barrels longer than 30 inches, I don't know if the price of eggs would be worth the wear and tear on the hens posterior. If I were to build another 375, it would be a Lawton 8500 action, A3-5 Stock, 30 inch barrel. I have Lawton brakes on on both the 375 and the 338.

I have a 375 9-6 gain twist Sendero taper Bartlien barrel 30 inches in length. I will probably send it off this week to have it chambered for the 8500 action. This will give me a switch barrel rig that I can shoot the 338/408 or switch to the 375/408 with the heavy CE bullets. I had the 9-6 barrel made for bullets 7 calibers in length, the supply of those has since dried up. I think the 425CE will work well in this barrel.

Augustus:

Have you engaged with the "new" Lawton. I've tried repeatedly to reach them via e-mail but received no response. There is no phone number shown.

Their "current" site lists a "Cheytac muzzle brake" on their barrel's page but no pic. Do you have such a brake? If so, any pics?

Thanks.

I have not had any contact with them for some time now. I had a couple of barrels ordered from back when Bobby was still there. I received them after the shake up, one was exactly as ordered and is a very good barrel. The other was supposed to be a Sendero taper no flutes. It turned out to be 1.350 at the breech and 1.250 at the muzzle. It also was fluted, since it was dropped shipped to my smith it had been chambered and fitted before we found out the order had been screwed up.

I can send you a pic of the brake. There really is nothing special about it and since they are so hard to contact I probably would not even attempt to buy one. You can get good brakes other places.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts