Cutting BAT reciever inlet

Gregg C

Getting ready to cut the inlet on a new stock. The action is a BAT Machine CT, that is polygonal in shape.
I had been thinking I'd inlet round, and then bed it, allowing the epoxy to be thicker. Got to thinking, maybe it would be better to shape the wood like the receiver, and keep the bedding thinner. I think I'm gonna give Marinetex a try, I hear tell it may be tougher than Devcon 10110.

Input invited.

If it matters, it's becoming a 375 AM

The epoxy has a much greater compressive strength than the wood you're using.
The gray marinetex has a higher compressive strength than the 10110, but I don't see that as being particularly relevant as either is more than sufficient.

I use 10110 for bedding, just preference after using Marinetex for boat restorations for many years. Great stuff, but much more sensitive to mix ratio than the 10110- there's only 10% "forgiveness". I've also had issues with exothermic reactions with Marinetex laid in thick layers, but doubtful the thickness at the lower receiver angles would be enough to precipitate that. With either epoxy, I'd keep it simple and and just use a core box router bit for the receiver and let the epoxy do the rest...

Agree, use a core box cutter, inlet to depth/width so the action fits, you'll have to use an end mill in the tang area, then bed with Marine Tex. I've never used the Devcon, MArine Tex has never failed me.

Yesterday I made a jig to help get the action screw holes in the right place. I think it was worth the time it took, as the location came out pretty darn close. I'm planning to put pillars in, so any misalignment can be fixed during that process, which will be after I get the barrel and action married.
Now to cut the relief for the trigger.
1119231251_HDR.jpg
1119231251a_HDR.jpg

Nice start.
I used to like cutting stocks (I have a duplicator), but I got sick of sawdust covering every machine in the shop. Someday...a dedicated room for woodworking away from the precision machines...

Recent Posts