Cut rifled barrel cleaning procedure

Canhunter35

Just wondering what everyone's cut rifled barrel cleaning procedures are?
And if they differ from other barrels?

I usually clean somewhere between 100-150rds with wipeout, then occasionally (400+ rounds) use bore cleaner, the smaller the bore the more I try to do it.
It's not really set in stone.
I've only used brush on a 204 with a carbon ring build up.
Otherwise is swab with patches, of rifle permits, from the breech end

Why would it be any different than a Button pulled barrel?

No idea really, noticed another member state he used different cleaning methods for cut rifled vs other barrels just thought I'd see what others did

Theres to much hype between cut vrs button. Now factory vrs good custom is a different story. A good barrel is a good barrel cut or button clean them the same theres no reason not to.

I was taught to put guns away cleaner than pulled.
With this, I clean bores to white metal after every single use, every time.
All my guns are cleaner than brand new, inside & out.
My cleaning is basically the 'Speedy Gonzales' method: https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=13001
My accurate barrel lives have so far been no better or worse than expected (and predictable) for cartridges. So cleaning often, in itself, has not hurt anything.

After cleaning, I dry prefoul all bores with a burnishing of tungsten disulfide(WS2).
And every gun in the safe will put the first cold shot with any to follow, or I would not have kept them.

There is no reason that cleaning a barrel with one method of rifling over another would be different. Aftermarket barrels that are lapped well copper foul less than typical factory bores. But cleaning of carbon is still the same, for the same reasons.
I couldn't say that going long stretches between cleanings is 'bad'. But I prefer my bores to be consistently as they were when their loads were developed. This was with way under 400 rounds of fouling.

This is with bolt guns and pistols. I currently have no semi-auto long guns.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.