Rifle Cleaning and Copper Cutting

Firecat

There have been several on here lately talking about cleaning their rifles. Several names have been mentioned for cutting through copper fouling. I personally have been using the Barnes CR-10. It seems to work well. The question is this. What brand/cleaner is the most aggressive or efficient? Also what is your method for cleaning your rifle? Thanks.

Sweets is great for copper. Works as fast as any other cleaners that I have used.

I break out the Barnes when I think the Sweets and Butches aren't getting the job done. As a side note, my accuracy gets worse when I clean one of my guns to the point that there is no fouling or copper residue, and it takes quite a few rounds and some fouling to tighten my groups back up.

Wipeout and Montana Extreme are the two best I have seen.

Too many issues suppposedly with Sweets damaging barrels IF left in to bother with. New products surpas it and cut carbon which Sweets does not!

BH

Wipeout is gradually taken over for me. Disadvantage is that it takes time. Yes-you can use the accelerator with it but it still takes some time. Sure nice not to have to use brushes down the tube though. The way I choose a product is to clean with what you are using and then clean with the new untested product. Be careful not to mix chemicals in the process - I run about 10 dry patches through before applying the second product.

I no longer use jags, have switched to nylon brushes wrapped with a cotton patch. I've tried nearly all the solvents, potions and lotions available. There are several that do very well on copper but I have abandoned the ones containing ammonia. I have returned to Bore Tech Eliminator. Although there are a few solvents that work just about as well, I haven't seen anything that beats it.

I tried the 2 new solvents from Bore Tech, Cu+2 Copper Remover and C4 Carbon Remover. They work very well but in my opinion, no better than Eliminator. To keep things simple (like O'reilly, I'm a simple guy), I'd rather use one solvent than two, so Eliminator is it for me. That's not to say I won't try the next new wonder salve that hits the market.

I wasn't among the fortunate few that got to sample Coppermelt. If that ever becomes available again I will absolutely try it.

Festus

Montana Xtreme solvents are first class. The copper killer is very,very powerfull.
Do not be tempted to take a sniff:) According to Montana you can leave it in the barrel to soak, unlike sweets.
Good people to deal with too. They bent over backards to get me supplied here in England.

Brit

I wasn't among the fortunate few that got to sample Coppermelt. If that ever becomes available again I will absolutely try it.

If it ever becomes available again I'm gettin me a 55 gal drum of it!!! That stuff was awesome, wish I had purchased more than two cans.

Currently using Wipeout if time permits or Bore Tech eliminator if I'm in a rush. Both do a fine job and have their place.

Chris

I break out the Barnes when I think the Sweets and Butches aren't getting the job done. As a side note, my accuracy gets worse when I clean one of my guns to the point that there is no fouling or copper residue, and it takes quite a few rounds and some fouling to tighten my groups back up.

I have a DPMS LR-308 that does the same. I hate to clean it as I know the groups are going to open right up.

For cleaning, I have had very good luck with RB-17.

I no longer use jags, have switched to nylon brushes wrapped with a cotton patch. I've tried nearly all the solvents, potions and lotions available. There are several that do very well on copper but I have abandoned the ones containing ammonia. I have returned to Bore Tech Eliminator. Although there are a few solvents that work just about as well, I haven't seen anything that beats it.

I tried the 2 new solvents from Bore Tech, Cu+2 Copper Remover and C4 Carbon Remover. They work very well but in my opinion, no better than Eliminator. To keep things simple (like O'reilly, I'm a simple guy), I'd rather use one solvent than two, so Eliminator is it for me. That's not to say I won't try the next new wonder salve that hits the market.

Festus

2nd Bore Tech Eliminator as a 'only thing you need' solvent. I've used several of the others mentioned here and nothing has worked as well on copper as Eliminator--and no ammonia and you can leave it in the bore as long as you like.

I did a little experiment on a new Rock Creek Barrel I was breaking in. Could see some shiny copper near the muzzle after removing the brake, so I painted on some Sweet's and let is set a few minutes. Barely did a thing. Dryed off the bore and painted on some Eliminator. Came back, oh, maybe an hour or two later and the copper was completely gone.

Makes cleaning a little simpler when you see stuff like that. Just my limited experience.

Montana Extreme and Wipeout do it for me and I've used most everything out there including Sweets, CR-10, KG-12, TM, Extreme CopperMelt, etc...

I have not used the newer BoreTech products, so I might have to give them a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.