Custom/semi-custom

Firedad

I've been discussing this in other threads but am trying to narrow my options. I like the seekins element or the idea of a tikka semi-custom. Looking to build an ultralight mountain rifle in 7prc. Want to see what others had to say.

Build
Seekins action
Tikka action
Bighorn Origin

SS Barrel
Preferred
Bartlein
or something else

Stock
AG
Stockys
McMillan
or something else w/vertical grip and ultralight

I started hunting in Wyoming (I am in GA) several years ago and we walked a lot to get deep into public land. I was very lucky and found a deal on like new used Kimber Montana 280AI and it has served me well. I have been looking at a Tikka semi custom 7PRC but if you look at a $600+ action, $600+ stock, $500 - $800 barrel, and so on it really adds up. There is satisfaction is specing and building custom/semi-custom but it sure adds up.

A Bighorn Origin, carbon fiber barrel of choice(I'd go Bartlein if you can find one), and a Manners stock would be a great build.

My Son's doing, a Semi-Custom ,. Tikka action, 7 PRC 24" Proof carbon Barrel, Adjustable Comb, Elay Precision Trig Spring, the Long, 7 Rem mag Magazine and Bolt Stop and will TRY to, use his Factory stock,.. IF, possible with, opening the Barrel channel and Glass bedding the Forearm for, stiffness ( Bi Pod, use ).
But, he's open to, another Stock, later, if Plans, don't work out.
The 7 PRC is, going to, BE, an Elk slaying,.. WINNER, IMO

Last edited:
A Bighorn Origin, carbon fiber barrel of choice(I'd go Bartlein if you can find one), and a Manners stock would be a great build.

Why CF? Aren't the SS barrels only a couple oz different? Plus I don't know if I like the clunky CF. Why bighorn or the seekins

Depends on what you want and what you want to spend. If the barrel contour and stock you want aren't available on a factory gun you may end up spending more by the time you replace them. If the Seekins has everything you want, I'd be tempted to go that way. If it doesn't, I'd do the math on an Origin action and a prefit vs a factory tikka and the new barrel you'd want.

Why CF? Aren't the SS barrels only a couple oz different? Plus I don't know if I like the clunky CF. Why bighorn or the seekins

You said ultralight so figured you wanted to save every ounce but I would run stainless myself.

The controlled feed is not clunky. I have two TL3s and they feed as well as any of my push feeds. Can't tell the difference behind the rifle. And i chose the Bighorn over the Seekins as there are a lot of prefit barrels for the Bighorn Origin. Many places make them so would be easier to put together and find barrels.

I love my Tikka build, but I probably wouldn't build another one in a LA caliber. If your plan is to shoot factory ammo it will be just fine, but if the goal is to load for it then your COAL will be limited by the shorter magazine length. Just something to think about 👍