Custom Rifle Advice.

jdm5267

I am looking to change my hunting setup a little bit as it will not satisfy all of my needs. My current rig is a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 7mm WSM topped with a 5-25x52 Swarovski. I enjoy this setup very much and it has the capability to reach much further than I care to shoot. I have strecthed this rifle as far as 618yds while harvesting a Boone and Crockett caliber Pronghorn. My main reason for switching this setup is that it really isn't an all around caliber and is a little on the heavy side. I would not shoot anything larger than deer with it at any type of distance beyond two hundred yards. Also I'm a fan of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw loaded by Federal. This round is not available for the 7mm wsm and although it is still available the 7mm wsm is getting harder to find everywhere I go. I figure that a 300 wsm topped with the scope from my current rifle will satisfy all of my hunting needs except for the largest animals in the world, while not shredding deer and antelope to pieces. Essentially I am looking for a rifle light enough to chase sheep all day ( hopefully in the future) and still have the stones to handle Alaska-Yukon Moose ( also hopefully in the future)

My mother currently shoots a Bansner because factory rifles simply wouldn't fit her. This rifle has served her flawlessly for the last 7 or 8 years inculding trips to New Zealand and long shots a elk and mule deer. Considering this and given their location not very far from my home they seem like a logical choice.

I am "cheap" and meticulous in that I only want to do this once. So I am looking for any advice or feedback from anyone willing to give it out so I make the "right" choice. I want this rifle to last at least my lifetime, which is a good long while since I am only 22 years old.

I do not have the time or resources to make or load my own ammo so I am looking only for something that is factory available.

I thank everyone in advance for any advice you can give me and I welcome any questions you have to help find my need better.

P.S. I don't know how many people are aware of this, but firearms are only covered by insurance up to around $2500. If anyone here is like me they have that wrapped up in just one gun. Just something to think about, feel free to contact me about this as well.

The sky is the limit for price on a custum rifle. I have never gotten any from any of our site sponsors yet, but anyone who has has been very very happy. As for caliber if you want something for antelope to moose I would stick with a 7mm or 30 cal. There is lots of other ammo choices out there also. If you stick with a tried and true caliber like 7mm Mag or 30-06 ammo will be cheaper then some of the WSM calibers. You really have to look at what the rifle is going to be used for most and go from there. If your only going to hunt elk or moose once, then I would pick a caliber with a little less horse power and a smaller caliber so you can shoot farther flater. Factory 7mm's I would go with 7mm Rem mag or 7mm STW. Depending how much you shoot you might wear the barrel out of the STW, but if you go custom just have it rebarreled. Also Since your 22 you will probably want more than one down the road and your needs might change.

Trophy bonded Bear claws by federal are in 270, 280, 3006, 7mm mag, 7WSM and 300 WSM. (all $42-45 a box). save the brass, you will learn to reload!) :D

Sounds like 280 or 7mm mag would be OK or even the 7WSM if you want to stay with that Browning action. However, I am a fan of the 300WSM personally.

I would build what I wanted and be done with it one time and forever happy.

Good custom action with lug will cost $850-900 (stiller, Tooley, etc). Money ahead and you will never regret. That is the only way to go versus reworking a factory action.

Here are pics and info on the Tooley http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f37/tooley-orion-action-pics-requested-56798/

I am picking up this weekend my 6.5x47 with a Tooley action ($850) and Stockys LR Bobby Hart stock ($300)

FYI my smith was very impressed with the Stockys laminated stock that was inletted, recoil pad, and clear coated already for $200. That is very hard price to beat. I would not bother ordering it with pillars. They will never match your action and have to be redone anyway when bedding.

Stock (Manners, Russo, Stocky) $200- unlimited

Trigger $125

Barrel 24-26" in #4-5 contour

chambering/crowning $200-250

Bedding $200

Weight 7.5 to 9 lbs finished depending on stock. Your scope will be another 1 lb plus.

Here is my version. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/no-click-lr-carry-gun-48155/

there are several drop in stocks that will work depending on what you want (glass, wood etc) and all they require is bedding. Joel Russo can make one similar to mine or almost any style and type wood.

As to the firearms insurance, that depends on the state you are in. All state policy parameters are set by the state insurance commissioner and mandate the minimum levels of coverage for items such as firearms in that state. I have seen firearms down as little as $200. For perspective, $2500 is the highest I have ever seen. A rider can be purchased to cover full coverage for about $10 per $1000 needed.

BH

Last edited:
Why not just get another rifle and keep what you have. You can always get a rider on your insurance policy for more or get some through the NRA.

My opinion is if you want one all around gun than stick to a 30 cal or larger. You cant overkill a animal. 338 win will kill anything on this continent.

Go to a pawn shop and pick up a Savage in .308 with the accu-trigger and either use it as is or re-barrel and restock it with an after market fiberglass stock. Stay away from the laminated they are twice as heavy. The .308 will kill anything you mentioned and is very accurate and cheep to shoot. gun)

joseph

I want to thank you guys so far for the advice. I still haven't settled on anything at all yet. For those of you that spoke about insurance, actually the best way to cover firearms is to schedule them on whatever dwelling policy you might have if it allows. Of course the best way to cover something is also the most expensive, but if you have a gun collection like that of my family it is well worth it. I actually sell insurance and I just wanted to raised a little awareness since many people do not know about this. Considering that many if not all of the members here have what is included in a standard policy wrapped up in just one setup, I figured it was something to shed a little light on

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.