Custom FN Mauser Value

Nativeson

I have recently acquired a FN Herstal stainless steel large ring Mauser. It has a bull barrel from CR HART, it doesn't have any caliber markings anywhere on the rifle. I called CC Hart, inquired about the rifle, but was told that records that old were in a warehouse in a box. I took the rifle to a gunsmith to identify the caliber and was informed that it was 300 HH Magnum. The rifle is in a beautiful birds eye maple stock, and it is fitted with a palm rest. With all this information I have had trouble getting a value on it. I have found this caliber is used in long distance shooting. But I don't know if it is still popular or if the rifle has any value. I would appreciate any information that I can get.

thank you
Rifle 5.jpg

Attachments

• rifle 2.jpg
    rifle 2.jpg
    557.4 KB · Views: 32
  • rifle 4.jpg
    rifle 4.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 35
Looks like trigger guard is broken. The pistol grip cap fit work looks pretty rough. Could just see how it shoots, couldn't hurt the value any, it's no creampuff. If ya like it's accuracy, just take it out there hunting.

1693924704613.png

1693924839541.png

1693925168300.png

The trigger guard is broken but an unbroken one can be made from a standard ADL trigger guard with slight modifications for fit.

First and foremost, this is not a stainless steel action. Then note the pitting present on this facing side.

Second it was made pre-1957 before FN created the 'Improved M98 Mauser' with the solid left side.

Third the .300 H&H is an excellent hunting cartridge no matter what anyone says. It was also used as a competition cartridge in 1,000 yard contests. In fact it won many competitions before the advent of more modern, efficient cartridges.

"The cartridge was used by American shooter Ben Comfort to win the 1000-yard Wimbledon Cup Match at Camp Perry in 1935, and it was used again to win the international 1,000 yard competition in 1937."

I shot my first elk with this cartridge years ago. It was a factory M721 in .300 H&H.

Fix what can be fixed and enjoy the hunting.

:)

Is it Stainless or steel min the white? As far as a target rifle the caliber is no longer used for such. The bottom metal looks off, is there magazine that holds 3 rounds? The action should be worth 8 Benjamins up to a grand or touch more to then right builder person, good like finding such. Kind of an odd setup.