Custom Build on Sako 85

RedRaider

I have been lurking for a while and appreciate all the incredible information on these forums. Simply amazing!

I have a Sako 85 SS in .338 Federal. I love this gun and the chambering, but want to make it more accurate if possible. I would like to put a custom barrel on it and also completely tune the action like is done on Remington's and Winchester's.

My questions is whether or not this action is capable of being trued, lugs lapped, etc and make into an accurate 100-200 yd 1/2" gun. I don't see much said about blueprinting on these types of actions.

If it is possible, are there any smith's that have experience with this action and could make it a real shooter? I would like to stay with .338 Federal as I have a 7mm-08 already and want a large .338 rifle without breaking my shoulder when I shoot it.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site. It is a good one.

If the Sako 85 has inch pattern barrel threads, it will be an easy rebarrel. If they are metric, many 'smiths won't take the job. Metric threads can be cut on inch pattern lathes that have spud gear setups for them, but my understanding is that once you start the thread, you can't disengage the carriage until the thread is finished. It would seem to be very tricky stopping/starting the lathe and backing the crossfeed out and feeding it in for each pass. I wouldn't even try it going toward a shoulder. I guess you could invert the tool and feed out from the shoulder with the lathe in reverse. That would cut a right hand thread without risking chewing up the shoulder and breaking the tool.

Maybe someone will jump in who knows what barrel thread the 85 has, and if I have described the metric thread problem right.

Good luck, Tom

Sorry I got dug in on the barrel thread form and forgot to answer the other part of your question. My opinion is that Sakos are very fine actions and can be made into extremely accurate custom rifles.

Tom

Plus 1, Ican, but I've never seen any factory barrel that could shoot with a Hart, Lilja, or Krieger for instance. Even though 100 - 200 yds isn't that demanding on a barrel, sometimes you just get an overpowering urge to shoot one hole with something. This would do it.

Good hunting, Tom

The thread has some time on it but if I can add....I purchased, sighted, used effectively an "out of the box" Sako 85 Finnlight Stainless Stalker .300 win mag with Nikon Tactical 2.5x10x44 last fall in Norther Ontario for Moose.
Having fired 5 different factory loads briefly (most less than 5 rounds each) the Federal Trophy Copper (180g) was by far the most consistent. The first 2 rounds produced .5" at 100 and I jumped right away to 200 yards. The next three rounds produced a 3 shot group at 1.5" and that was it...the next round fired took down a cow moose at approx. 255 yards

Given enough opportunity and experience I believe a lot of time and money is not needed to get a feel and good idea of what rounds work effectively with a particular rifle/caliber. The time and money is better spent fine tuning, hand loading, practice, gaining skill set, earning accuracy

The rifle has not been fired since and has been gloating in the safe since then...eagerly awaiting the next chance as am I!

Any rifle that will go through approx 20 rounds of 5 different factory loads to produce a .5" group at 100 and 1.5" group at 200 with bare minimum bench time is fine by me. I look forward to sending more rounds this year in an attempt to stretch it's legs and see what happens out to 400 yards...improving both the rifle's and my performance with it.

good luck

Sako 85 has 16TPI 60 degree threads and to answer your question yes they can be trued I've done a few and single pointed the threads and trued the the bolt, everything that's done to a remington can be done sako.. Although I would pick a competent rifle builder..

And to the person above that was talking about metric threads its called race tracking where you leave the half nut engaged and you have to use it on metric. It's pretty easy as long as you have a break on your lathe..

Hapcustoms, thanks for the info. Since this thread was started, I had learned that the process is as you describe. My lathe doesn't have a brake, so I would cut a metric thread (if I had to), by disengaging the spindle drive and turning the chuck by hand. Crude, but within my skill level.

The term "racetracking" makes sense to me.

Tom

Hapcustoms, thanks for the info. Since this thread was started, I had learned that the process is as you describe. My lathe doesn't have a brake, so I would cut a metric thread (if I had to), by disengaging the spindle drive and turning the chuck by hand. Crude, but within my skill level.

The term "racetracking" makes sense to me.

Tom

Not a problem if you ever have any questions shoot me a PM.

I am glad the OP got an accurate M85. I wasn't so lucky. After sending it back to Beretta twice with no satisfaction I did some of my own inspecting and found the M85 has whay I describe as a pathetic recoil lug system.

You can read about here. Pictures on page 3 of the thread.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/no-recoil-lug-what-say-ye-49659/

That rifle is currently at my smith getting a custom lug made. I will probably eventually replace the stock and rebarrel to a lighter cartridge.

I won't be buying any more Sakos or Beretta products based on my experience.

The other thing I do that makes a world of diff is make a Remington style recoil lug on it I just add the thickness to the thread extension..

I have been lurking for a while and appreciate all the incredible information on these forums. Simply amazing!

I have a Sako 85 SS in .338 Federal. I love this gun and the chambering, but want to make it more accurate if possible. I would like to put a custom barrel on it and also completely tune the action like is done on Remington's and Winchester's.

My questions is whether or not this action is capable of being trued, lugs lapped, etc and make into an accurate 100-200 yd 1/2" gun. I don't see much said about blueprinting on these types of actions.

If it is possible, are there any smith's that have experience with this action and could make it a real shooter? I would like to stay with .338 Federal as I have a 7mm-08 already and want a large .338 rifle without breaking my shoulder when I shoot it.

Thanks!

I don't think that truing the sako action will be worth the effort they are a nice action and don't usually need to be messed about with like a remmy.
What accuracy are you currently getting from it and what kind of ranges are you planning on shooting?
Unless you need a faster/slower twist or are planning on shooting v long range you won't see a worthwhile benifit in a new barrel.
Shoot out the barrel you have then fit a custom tube and recoil lug.
Just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.