Custom 338 Wildcat

Cruizin

Ok I'm finally getting my rifle (On Tuesday... Yahoo) after a long 1 1/2 year wait. I did a single shot 338 with the 300 ultra mag case and an improved shoulder. The shoulder is really angled somewhere around 60° or 70°. I also had it chambered to fit a 300SMK seated way out since it is a single shot. I believe the col I had it chambered for was 4.090. I need a fire form load that will push that shoulder out. I'm planning on putting that bullet right up on the lands to fire form with. Does anyone have any loading software that could get me close for a fireform load?

I was thinking of starting with the bullet up against the lands and 94 grains of H1000, ccI 250 primers with Rem brass.

Here are the specs incase you're wondering:

McMillian stock A5
30" Rock Creek #7 contour fluted
DE brake
Rem trued action
Teflon coated
Jewel Trigger
Night Force Scope 5.5 x 22 x 56
Night Force Rings and Warn 20 moa base.

94 gr of h1000 seems a little high to me sense the bullet is into the lands. i know you've got an improved case but i don't think i'd go over 90. my Edge is just starting to show pressure at 94 without the bullets touching the rifling. if you have any smaller bullets or slower powder that would help.

Pics

DSC02488.JPG

Last edited:
Ok 90 sounds good. Anybody else have any input?

If you are heavy into the lands where the mark on the bullet is a rectangle, then you are probably too heavy on powder. If you are where it makes a perfect square or even more of a dot, then you are okay. We started out with 92 grain in a 338RUM with H1000 and did not have any issues.

James

Back from the range. Windy day today but was able to fireform 40 cases and got some nice groups all things considered. I thought my shoulder would hurt more but it doesn't feel too bad.

Here were my findings. I had some issues with my Forster Press and didn't get to load all the bullets up next to or in the lands. Most were .010 or so back from the lands. I loaded the fireform load with 90 gr of h1000 and I was getting only around 2700-2750 fps with the 300gr SMK. I'm shooting to get 3000fps.

I did order a longer handle yoke for my Forster Press so next go around will be much better.

Water Capacity with REM brass 300rum:
Factory brass was 114.2 grns water
Fireformed 338 Tejas put me a 120.6 grns water and I think it might go up another .5 grain or so.

Anyways what do you guys think I should start at for the next load?

You think I can start at 94gr of H1000 with the 300gr SMK? If so what would you think I should work up to?

Any replies will be much appreciated.

When I had a 338 RUM I was getting 2720fps with the 300 gr SMK using 87.5grs of H1000 out of a 28" 1-10" twist Hart barrel, went up to 92grs and was aroung 2800fps.
Seeing that you have a slightly larger case then the 338 RUM I think that 94grs should not be a problem.
I would also try Retumbo, you should get higher velocities with it over H1000.
Would it be possible to get a pic posted of your 338 Tejas case fireformed next to one that has not been fireformed so we can see the difference?

Wayne aka WAMBO

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.