338 Wildcat projectiles

Wild_Bill

I am also building a long range 338-300 improved and was wondering if anyone has used the heavy wildcat 338's and if so what twist do they need with a 300gr around 3000fps and the 350's at 2850+ would a 9 twist be best or just stick with a 10 twist and 300gr Sierra MatchKings

Cheers Bill
Australia

[ QUOTE ]
I am also building a long range 338-300 improved and was wondering if anyone has used the heavy wildcat 338's and if so what twist do they need with a 300gr around 3000fps and the 350's at 2850+ would a 9 twist be best or just stick with a 10 twist and 300gr Sierra MatchKings

Cheers Bill
Australia

[/ QUOTE ]
I also wonder if anyone has used the heavy wildcat 338's (they dont exist) plan on using the 300gr SMK and the 1-10" twist works fine.
UB

Wild Bill,

Richard just got his dies back a few weeks ago for the 338. He started making bullets and all was going great. It seemed that they had finally gotten him the dies he wanted and bullets were turning out amazingly well.

Then, he ran into a short jacket and the bullet stick in the nose form die!!! Back to the states the die went, hopefully it does not take long to get it back but you never know.

A 1-10 will handle any bullet up to the 350 gr ULD RBBT so that is what I would use. There is no real need for a faster twist in 338.

I have tested the 350 gr in my 338 Kahn loaded to right at 2850 fps and it shot very well, VERY well to be honest but this was not enough velocity to give it a great advantage over the 300 gr version and recoil increases significantly.

I would be suprised if you will get 2850 fps in a 338-300 Imp unless you go with a very long barrel. I have a 34.5" pipe on my Kahn and with my rifle I could reach 2900 but that is about it and that may be pushing things.

Going from 300 to 350 grains is a pretty big jump not only in bullet weight but also in baring surface area.

The 1-10 will work well though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Kirby haw do the 300gr Wildcats compare BC wise to the Sierra 300gr? also i think he does a 325 aswell?

I may just stick with the 300gr Wildcat and 300GR sierra but if their is a large advantage in Richards i will use his exclusively. The barrel will only be 30" so 3000fps with a 300gr projectile will be Max it may be closer to 2900 but i will not find out until one is fired.

Have you tried Richards in your 338 Allen Mag and if so how well?

Cheers Bill

Wild Bill,

I tested them against the 300 gr SMK in my 338 Kahn and ballistically they were similiar. I think they were a slightly higher in BC but not dramatically so. They did hold slightly tighter groups in my 338 Kahn then the 300 gr SMK.

That said, they both shot very well. If I remember the average group size at 500 yards was right at 1 1/4" for three shots for the Wildcat and at 1 1/2" for the SMK. Both great performers.

I did not have the 300 gr Wildcats when I designed my 338 Allen Mag so I have not been able to test them in it yet. I have tested the 350 gr version and I did get them up to 3250 fps pretty comfortably but with the limited number of bullets I had I did not get a complete testing done on these bullets.

I hope that changes soon.

Richard has also been teasing me with a 400 gr class ULD Flat Base bullet in 338!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

i cant wait till RIchard get the dies back ive been waiting to try the 350 338cal and now really hoping the can pull off a 400

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.