Custom 300win Accuracy vs Velocity?

I'm running the same powder, brass, bullet, and primer also out of a 28" Broughton (see sig for specs). I seat to the lands however, no jump. Two things come to mind. First is Norma brass (in MY experience) always takes a couple more grains to get the same pressure/velocity as the Win or RWS brass. I am at 79.0 grains of H-1000 with my F215M primers and Norma brass, and am running at 2975. I have ZERO pressure signs on my bolt lift, primer strikes, and no ejector marks or any marks on the base of the brass. My most accurate load was at 78.0 grains (2880 fps) in the same setup and was basically one hole. My current load is just a little more ragged hole. After this season I will safely work up to see where I start to get pressure signs, however so far I have yet to reach any with Norma or Nosler (re-stamped Norma) brass in .300 WM at 79.0. With Win brass, I would be at about 76.6 for this same velocity/pressure (again, in MY experience). All that to say this...you may have a higher velocity accuracy node left still to discover, and try to seat those bullets on the lands to about .04 off.

As always, this is my load data and it works safely in my gun. Other experiences and guns/chambers may find this to be a hot or unsafe load. Be safe, work up slow, and you'll find a combo you like.

Lastly, your barrel should speed up a bit ~100-150 rounds. Not sure what your round count is, but a possibility would be to load up a lot of the accurate but slower velocity ammo, go enjoy the hell out of shooting rocks and any critter you want, and when you have the barrel seasoned, come back to the reloading table and work on a new recipe.

Good luck.

Thank you guys for all the responses! It appears I have some work left to do. 6 point, I'm at 43 rounds total so far. I'll stick with the 74 grains for this weekends hunt, and step it up after that to discover if there is a high node that I am missing. I would love to get close to 3000fps out of it, as the energy at long range significantly improves with that extra 250 fps.

Thanks again.

))--SLIVER-->

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.