338win vs 300win vs 300ultra

Yes MontanaRileman im from Canada. No target range over 100yard close to where i live. Got to shoot on private land, some time it cause us probleme.
I dont care to how other hunter look at my. It just funny to see their face.
Y dont realod but my hunting and shooting partener do so it not a problem.

Not that much long range shooter around so y mite be asking to much question.....

Yes i know that shot placement is the key, y do most of my hunt with bow.
Never ad to folow a blood trail more thant 200feet.

Well if you have someone to reload for you, your options are limitless. The 225grn AccuBond for the 338 and the 200grn AccuBond for the the 300 will do all the killing you require of it. I wouldn't waste the time and money on the RUM if your limit is 500yrds. Both will kill anything you hit within that distance and up to 800yards with ease.

Tank

EastHunter, I could tell you were form Canada by your accent :) (the way you typed) You are probably French Canadian and can probably speak French better than English is my guess. I had a great uncle who was an officer in the French and Indian War. He was a German colonist serving the English. Maybe he was exchanging led balls with one of your distant relatives back then eh? I've had the pleasure of visiting Canada, Northeast of Quebec for a fishing trip and I know that part of the country is very thick. Not much open country for long shots.

If you have a way to reload, that is the way to go. If you choose a 338 WM, i would try the 200 gr Nosler E-Tips or 225 gr Nosler Accubonds. You would probably have to order them. But another memeber here (LongTimeLongRanger) had a lot of bad luck with the 225 Accubonds this last hunting season. They came apart on him and some of his freinds. So the 200 gr E-Tip might be better. It will shoot much faster and fly flatter than heavier bullets and work well for shorter ranges.

Let us know what you get and how it works for you.

Good hunting,

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Hi MontanaRifleman.

Im from Quebec province in the south of it. Yes french is my first language. Did not have much chance to pratice my english around. Have bin told y speak english better thant y writ it....

Best place for long shot is on caribou hunt, waiting for the drawing to pick my up...Some opend field for deer but it better in hevy wood(around were y live). Deer kind of learn to stay put until dark.

For the led ball we could be surprise world is a kind of litte place...

Accubond came apart? It is on my list of choice bullet, some friend hut with the and very like it. Never heard of thid kind of problem. Will do some more test with it.

One other thing made my think of stronger rifle is that y might have a chance to hunt on a club near the border next year or so. Some of the lot in it are at the border. Dont what a moose to go back to usa with my bullet...:D
My 270win will do the job but more power will be better in my idea.

Will ask some quetion on wich rifle is better when i will be down to chose betwin 2 or 3 model. Great chance it will be a 338win.

the 300 or the 338 will kill just as dead. my expieriance is that a 338 bullet just gets the hard to kill games attention better, as in a stumble or fall upon impact. with same bullet placement.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.