Cross Fox Down!

tt35

I heard a local rancher was losing a bunch of lambs to coyotes so I stopped to see him about it. Turns out his real problem was fox. The government trapper had already taken a bunch off the place but I offered my services just the same. He was happy to have dead predators regardless of the method and gave me the run of the ranch. So, this afternoon after church, I slid over to give it a whirl.

My first two stands were blanks. There was only time for one more stand so I walked about a half mile up the river and set up with my scent going out into the open meadow to my left and the caller hanging from some brush in front of me. The heavier cover along the river ran left and right from my position.

I started with some Lucky Bird then went through a number of sounds as the stand went on--Baby Cottontail, Juv Red Fox Distress, Cottontail, etc. Since another stand was out of the question, I let the call play. It was getting pretty dark and I would have given up but I noticed that one of my presets on the Shockwave was messed up. I decided to fix it while I was there so I was scrolling down the sound list looking for the correct sound. Eventually I looked up and, lo and behold, a fox was standing in front of the caller! I raised my .17 HMR as the fox began to move. A lip squeak stopped him for a frontal. Better to be lucky than good sometimes!

At the shot, he leapt straight in the air four feet like a bobcat, fell on his side then jumped up and ran 80 yards across the field towards the willows. I threw another shot at him as he entered the brush line. It was dark enough that I decided to hike back and get the truck and a light.

I found blood at the location of the hit then walked to the area I last saw him. There he laid just inside the brush line. I'm not sure if the second shot connected or not but I had my first Cross Fox!

Some research found that it is a color-phase of a red fox. The black of the legs runs up over the back and is supposed to form a cross with the black dorsal line. I didn't notice the black on the back of mine but there seems to be quite a bit of variation in color in these fox. Very interesting. Either way it probably signifies Divine Intervention as this is the first called fox I've killed in about 35 years and the first fur for 2015!

Here's a photo that shows more of the color difference compared to a typical red.

Happy New Year from No Off Season.

Congratulations on your fox they are really a beautiful animal. I shot my first one thanksgiving morning with my .204, it's at the taxidermist for a full body mount.

Fox colors are amazing. I haven't seen many, but they've all been different. It will look good on the wall, Congratulations!

Nice work Tim! I bet your ticker was beating pretty hard after that one. These animals are my favorite. Anyone can take a close look and know why. Well, better hit the bank and get a full mount done. I sure did, and the gift keeps on giving. Very cool!!!

Nice! A fox is always a treat. We don't call many in where I call. I'm hoping I stumble across one this year. Congrats!

Thanks, guys. I was pretty stoked. He's a fairly small one so I think I'm going to have Gus at Great Basin Taxidermy just tan him for me. He'll go well with my coyote, bobcat, red fox display. But, I'm thinking targeting fox is in my future. It was pretty cool.

Congratulations on your fox they are really a beautiful animal. I shot my first one thanksgiving morning with my .204, it's at the taxidermist for a full body mount.

P22: Can I ask what bullet you were shooting, shot placement/angle and fur performance? I could have shot this with the .204 I think. It was straight on but I was worried a broadside shot would tear one up.

I was shooting a 32 grain z-max with 28.? Grains of benchmark shot was perfectly broadside at 100 yards. .204 in dime size out. Great online store to, never knew about it before but will definitely be a new customer.

Not really a crossbreed. It has to do with the coloration. It's a color-phase of the red fox like a cinnamon or chocolate colored black bear. Someone referred to it as a "melanistic" gene. At any rate, it seems to be a recessive gene that only surfaces occasionally.

Ive only seen one like that and it sat 20 feet from me with a confused look on its face, all I had was my 300 ultra and didnt want to chance destroying the hide so he just walked off, definitely a high-light of that season in the Blues!
Now I wanna see one when I'm out calling :D
Chris
Benchmark

Thanks Tim! My first experience with situations like that was with a 30-378, 180 X bullet and a coyote at 33 yds. It was nasty!! Almost tore the little 'yote in half!
Chris
Benchmark

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.