Criterion 300WM Neck Clearance

brant89

I have a Criterion 300WM SS Match barrel that I've had for a couple years and have gotten decent accuracy out of it but nothing to write home about. I recently had a piece of brass with a small nick in the case mouth (I messed it up during loading) that wasn't bad enough to scrap but I knew would hurt my accuracy. However, to my surprise it wouldn't even chamber which got me to questioning my neck clearance. My loaded case necks are measuring .335-.336 and my fired case necks are measuring .337-.338. I understand that there will be some spring back, but this seems pretty tight to me. At this point I'm wondering if this could be a contributing part of my accuracy issue. Norma brass, FL sized just enough to chamber, 4 firings, zero case growth up to this point (about .001 per firing). I ordered a 30 cal neck turning pilot today but I'm wondering if I should just skim them (can't hurt) or actually remove a couple thou. Thoughts?

77.2gr of H1000 under a 200 gr ELDX is getting me 2940fps from a 26" barrel with no pressure signs. Thought that was pretty much par for the course.

I only recently dived deep into the details of neck clearance and neck turning during my 22BR build. Previous to that I never would have questioned it.

A safe rule of thumb for a hunting rifle is .004 neck clearance from loaded dia to fired diameter. A bit more won't hurt. Surprised you haven't seen pressure problems...
From what I understand, even alot of match shooters are getting away from tight necks & going for .004" clearance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.