.300wm neck tension

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107666

Getting setup to reload a 300wm...first time reloading. Have Redding Type S neck sizing die.

Not sure how to measure for the correct bushing?? .002 or .001 smaller than the diameter of the bullet, in this case Berger's 230? Read the Berger manual thus far, but cant seem to find that mentioned in there...may need some reading material a little more in-depth?

Can anyone recommend a bushing size to start with? Rounds will be carried in a hunting rifle and some bound loose in my pack, would like to not drop bullets having them seated overly loose.

Thanks for humoring the newbie.

Will be starting with new brass, so I imagine this step is everytime after the first firing, or folks reside the necks on new brass as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
Need the brass to know how thick the neck is...measure the o.d. of the neck with a bullet seated and then pick your bushing by using that measurement

For the 300 Win Mag I recommend using the bushing that is .003" smaller than the neck diameter from one of YOUR loaded rounds.

Be sure to measure this area if you ever switch to a different brand of brass; because neck thickness can vary (by several thousandths) when you switch to a different brand of brass, and then you will need to use a different size bushing or use a .305" neck mandrel.

On a hard kicking caliber (like the 300 Win Mag) there is no need to crimp your cases when you use .003' neck tension. Don't under estimate recoil when using a muzzle brake, because most of them actually increase recoil for your rifle - even though the shooter feels a great reduction of recoil.

With less than .003" of neck tension (and a muzzle brake) you might find some of your bullets being pushed deeper into the case. This is caused when the direction of recoil is reversed by a muzzle brake.

Awesome info fellas, exactly what I was looking for! Yes ADG brass it is, already have some purchased and running a break, so will start with .003. I'd read anywhere from .002 to .004 less, just needed to know how to get to that measurement.

Thanks for helping with the elementary level stuff!

If you use a bushing die you need to neck turn to get the OD true to the ID. You need at least 75% clean up on the neck. Otherwise a bushing die is not going to put equal pressure on the bullet. This consistency will make the round a lot more accurate.

Awesome info fellas, exactly what I was looking for! Yes ADG brass it is, already have some purchased and running a break, so will start with .003. I'd read anywhere from .002 to .004 less, just needed to know how to get to that measurement.

Thanks for helping with the elementary level stuff!
When you are using the bushing, load ONE Shell only and try it in your gun before you load anymore. Work the action and make sure it's smooth. If you are too far under you can push the shoulders out!

Getting setup to reload a 300wm...first time reloading. Have Redding Type S neck sizing die.

Not sure how to measure for the correct bushing?? .002 or .001 smaller than the diameter of the 230? Read the Berger manual thus far, but cant seem to find that mentioned in there...may need some reading material a little more in-depth?

Anybody shooting 230s that can recommend a bushing size? Rounds will be carried in a hunting rifle and some bound loose in my pack, would like to not drop bullets having them seated overly loose.

Thanks for humoring the newbie.

Will be starting with new brass, so I imagine this step is everytime after the first firing, or folks reside the necks on new brass as well?

Sounds like your using the 300wsm for target or you just like make good quality ammo for your hunter??

I recently started reloading for a new Browning BLR LW in the same cartridge but as its a hunter im just going with the Redding Deluxe set & NK sizing die.

I reload for a couple of other cartridges using the type s bushing dies & the info in that thread I linked should give you the right info you need.

Just curious why your using 230's?
That's pretty heavy, then again we don't get things like moose here in Aus :D

Hunter and Range rifle. Rifle isnt complete yet, waiting on my manners to finish up. May have my Smith load me a dummy round, so I can start working on my case prep, I'm bored. Sold my .308 on an AI chassis for and went lightweight ...was gonna go 6.5PRC but we moved back west, and wanted a .300wm and 230gr pills for elk. Wanted a target bullet to get me to a mile and 230 seemed the better all around choice for Elk/Long range plinking than the 215s.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.