cream of wheat?

I use cream of wheat to fireform cases for my 6BR, you have to put wads made of toilet paper or soft tissue with some Crisco on tom to seal it all, I also use cream of wheat in my subsonic loads as filler to keep powder on the bottom, just word of advise stick to fireforming with cream of wheat, I had bad ignition once because of powder got mixed with filler and bullet got stuck in the middle of my barrel...

I'm fairly new to reloading, so I'm just trying to understand this not start an argument.

This method seems kind of dangerous. I would think the pressure could be too high, even ruin a barrel if the toilet paper got stuck and you fired a second time.

With powder cost so high couldn't you get a resizing die made for your chamber?

Wouldn't that do the same as fire forming
?

I'm wondering if Malt-O-Meal would work just as well....

You'd have a nice maple sugar smell with every ignition........:D

Cream of Wheat... Not just for breakfast anymore......

you could probably use grits, but sugar o maple syrup would leave lots of carbon...

No paddle its not, a resizing die only makes a case smaller while shooting it in a gun makes it larger. If you have a wildcat round and there isnt any factory brass for it you need to shoot a close fit piece of brass to your chamber. You cant use a full load or else you could cause case head seperation in some situations. So you have to use a load with a small charge of shotgun or pistol powder and since there is such a small amount you need something to compress it so it lights uniformly. It is not dangerous if you do it correctly it has been done for a loooooong time
Hope that helps

For my cream of wheat fireforming and subsonic loads I use IMR Trail Boss, it takes more space then shotgun or pistol powder, just 16 gr of Trail Boss will fill 308 case and you only need 8gr to fireform, also 8gr of this powder will drive subsonic 168 gr bullet...

No paddle its not, a resizing die only makes a case smaller while shooting it in a gun makes it larger. If you have a wildcat round and there isnt any factory brass for it you need to shoot a close fit piece of brass to your chamber. You cant use a full load or else you could cause case head seperation in some situations. So you have to use a load with a small charge of shotgun or pistol powder and since there is such a small amount you need something to compress it so it lights uniformly. It is not dangerous if you do it correctly it has been done for a loooooong time
Hope that helps

Hey barnesuser,

I did Google it and did learn, like you said, it is used for the wildcat rounds. I actually talked to a guy I work with that has a 223 ackley improved and he explained it also.

Thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.