Coyote Caliber?

The 223 will work fine, shot placement & bullet selection are key. Heck I've lost 1 coyote to the 22-250 shooting 50gr accutips but that was due to me shooting him to far back and he was walking away from me.

Amen Matt, 204 is an excellent western coyote gun, sometimes you shoot so far out here that it stretches your barrel and you have to cut a little off when you get home😳just to get it back to normal length. 😳😂😂👍🤝 on a serious note, it is an out standing coyote killer from 0 to 500 yards.

Amen Matt, 204 is an excellent western coyote gun, sometimes you shoot so far out here that it stretches your barrel and you have to cut a little off when you get home😳just to get it back to normal length. 😳😂😂👍🤝 on a serious note, it is an out standing coyote killer from 0 to 500 yards.

maybe I need to start taking longer shots then cause I haven't had to cut my barrel back just quite yet lol

I've shot coyotes with 20's, 22's, 6's, 25's ans 6.5's. By far my favourite is the 20's. Very little pelt damage normally and they act like they were struck by lightening

I've killed yotes with 60 gr partitions from my 223 a few times . They do well . Still have yet to get one with the 204 or my 17 Remington . Have got a few with the shotgun though . That's all a good friend of mine hunts with is a 12 ga with # 4 . He kills a pile every year

I think the .223 makes as good a general purpose coyote round as there is, but with limits.

Bullet selection is always key, and if you're choosing bullets to save fur you may be less effective. Using mono's is another factor. I haven't done it yet, but the 35 grain Hammer would be my choice.

The high intensity .224's, and 6mm's offer legitimate increases in performance at range, and in the wind. As do any of the larger cartridges we use for long range big game.

If you are sure the shots will be that close and if you believe they will not run the second you turn that light on.... Neither of those has worked out for me.

In MIchigan, the closest I have gotten to a coyote is 125 yards. Longest shot 430 yards. That is definitely not 223 territory, my 243 ackley works much better and kills them on the spot. If the wind is blowing and shooting 55gr in a 223, the wind will blow the bullet off by 2+ feet in 250 yards. And coyotes tend to not stop moving.

Our coyotes run the moment you turn on a distress call or a light. I had to upgrade to Gen 3 NV. Expensive. Today one has less expensive options with Sionix and other digital NV that is way better than alternatives. And thermal is cheaper than ever although still at the top end of the cost scale. Much safer when one has livestock, owners dogs running around etc.
2'+ @ 250yds? You shooting in 40mph winds?

Nosler 55gr BT's worked for my yotes in my AR15. 16" M4 clone I built, hit the farthest yote 125 yards on the trot.

Gentlemen,

With woodchucks coming out, I plan to use them as coyote bait. I'll be shooting at 50 yards, at night with a red light. My rifle choices are:

AR-223, 18" Wydle SS sporter barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
CZ 527 in 223, 22" regular barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
Remington 700 in 243AI, 26" semi-heavy barrel, shooting a 80g Berger FB Varmint. (Soon to be a 62g Barnes V. Grenade.)
CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel, 26" Varmint barrel, shooting a 90g Speer TNT/95g Vmax.

My first choice is the AR...my question: does the 223 have enough killing power for coyotes?
Been happy so far with .223 Rem & 52 gr Hammer Hunter running 3,400 fps. 28.5 gr of Ramshot TAC powder and WSR primers in Winchester cases. These little guys will drive through no matter where you hit them, and do minimal pelt damage.

Last edited:
Been happy so far with .223 Rem & 52 gr Hammer Hunter running 3,400 fps. 28.5 gr of Ramshot TAC powder and WSR primers in Winchester cases. These little guys will drive through know matter where you hit them and do minimal pelt damage.
Interesting combo, and experience. I would not have thought of it. One I'll have to file away.

AR-223, 18" Wydle SS sporter barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
CZ 527 in 223, 22" regular barrel, shooting a 52g Berger FB Varmint.
The AR has enough power especially at 50 yards. Like I said it dumped a few yotes for me at 125 yards and under with 55 gr Ballistic Tip. But the Berger 52gr Varmint might be too explosive. I hit a yote with one at 150 yards with my 22-250 and it took off. I finally got him at around 300 yards. the first one went into the boiler room with no effect. The next one in his nose on the run. And then at 300 yards in his spine. The fourth one went into the boiler room again that finished him. They can be tough. I like my AR for all purpose truck gun. But your 243 might be more definite.