Cosine Chart

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by C.O. Shooter, Aug 6, 2011.

1. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

Ok does anyone remember this chart from grade school: Printable Multiplication Table

So do they make a cosine angle chart which would be similar?

I understand to multiple the range by the cosine for the range. I was just looking to simplify this process without having to make my own!

2. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

Here you go!

Table of Cos(a)

3. C.O. Shooter

Yeah I got that one. I was talking about one with yards in the first column and the angles across the top! I know it wouldn't be for every angle at every range, but would be close.

example would be 20 degree angle at 500 yards = 470

0 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 50 55 60
    500 ---470

I am not trying to re-invent the wheel trying to make things easier on the fly! I guess I could go through and input all angles for the various ranges.

Thanks

4. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

5. C.O. Shooter

Eaglet

As per that article:

"In the second method of obtaining the corrected for gravity distance to target, known as the "Improved Rifleman Method," the ACI still plays its role, however the cosine number is multiplied to your minute of angle (MOA) or mil-radian (MILRAD) hold for the specified distance. This is more accurate than the Rifleman method."

ex. I am shooting a 20 degree angle at 600 yards. For me, 600 yards is 12 MOA. Therefore .94x12 = 11.28) So make the adjustment for 11.28 and shoot?

Yes, that seems easier than the other method!

Bare with me I am trying to learn!

6. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

C.O. Shooter , you got that one right.

Remember, it's only more accurate. It still falls short at times but it's a way
    to go about it when you don't have any other choice. :)

7. C.O. Shooter

As of the other night, I converted my click chart to MOA! This will for sure be faster making adjustments rather than counting clicks. With the above method going from 12 MOA to 11.28 MOA just seems to make more sense and a simpler way of doing things!

So in your opinion, the chart you provided with the 1000 different number combinations would be good for what if anything?

Thanks again.

8. Eaglet

Eaglet Well-Known Member

C.O. Shooter, many years ago I compared the above table to true computerized
    calculated drops for a variety of angles and I remembered to be very disappointed.

I personally don't have any use for it!

9. C.O. Shooter

Thank you for the Intel! I hope to put this to good use on my Wyoming trip and future range outings! gun)

10. Havingfun

Havingfun Well-Known Member

Looking for a copy of the nice angle/range card that Eaglet posted. I can't figure out how to download this from my Mac.

Does anyone know where to obtain/purchase a copy of this card or otherwise, how I would make a copy from this thread?

Thanks, Macdaddy

11. C.O. Shooter

As with my Mac, click and hold on the chart, drag it off the page, and put it on your desktop! Double click on the new file and print!