Copper Fouling or something else?

Bran743

I pulled my 7Mag out of my safe the other day and to my surprise I found green corrosion around the ports on the muzzle brake and on the barrel (to a lesser extent). My question is, is this normal when shooting solid copper bullets or is something else wrong?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

No offense, but it sounds like it was put in safe without being properly cleaned and treated with any anti-corrosion protection.

That green corrosion is copper fouling that has oxidized (corroded). You will probably want to give it a good cleaning with some copper solvent. Did you maybe put the gun up wet? Copper is usually pretty corrosion resistant and usually will not turn green in your barrel if kept dry. This 'could' result in corrosion pits in your barrel.

Last edited:
No offense taken. You're 100% right. I did put the rifle up w/o giving it a good cleaning, which is bad on my part.

I gave it a thorough cleaning with Barnes copper solvent and used their instructions and cleaned till all patches came out clean. I then ran dry patches through it till they were dry, then oiled the barrel.

The gun wasn't wet when I put it up and my safe is sealed up pretty tight. I lined the doors with foam tape sealer and have an oversized dry rod in it (Although thinking about it now, I need to check and make sure it is still working).

So am I correct it was just my own negligence and there is most likely nothing wrong with the barrel (at least there wasn't when I locked it up).

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think you want some air circulation in your safe. Using your Goldenrod (dry rod) in the bottom of your safe allows the warm air to rise in the safe, and somewhat circulate the air. Making it airtight might cause condensation problems. I could be wrong.

If you want to remove the copper without any effort then use some good foam bore cleaner.

Below a 1943 British .303 Enfield rifle with a frosted and pitted bore from corrosive primers. After firing over 100 rounds at the range one shot of foam bore cleaner removed all the carbon and copper, with no scrubbing with a bore brush. (spare the rod and spoil the bore) ;)

p59rhnP.jpg

My dry rod is at the bottom of my safe, but circulating air makes sense. might have to see what I can come up with there.

I have taken to using carbon fiber cleaning rods in all my stuff. Pain to store though...

-Brandon

go to your local camera store or electronics store. Ask them if they still keep the little silica packs that come packed inside the factory boxes. Most just toss them but some do keep them on hand. Toss a bunch around the inside of your safe they will absorb moister in the air. After a couple of months simply replace them or put them in an oven at 200 dec F. for 30 minites to dry them out. But, it is best to use a toaster oven out side or in the garage it will smell a bit and your wife will not be impressed

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.